Not Feeling Well? New Hand signal.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You suggesting that this new signal would have resulted in a different outcome for Linnea is so out of line and disgusting. Obvious that you have no goddamn idea what you are talking about and don't have the slightest understanding of what happened.
If you had any decency at all you'd remove this from the post.
As someone who has been in touch with her family and her mom especially, this pisses me off to no end.
And you also hide behind a fake name and limit who can see who you are. Another reason to not take anything you say seriously.
"And you also hide behind a fake name and limit who can see who you are. Another reason to not take anything you say seriously."

With all due respect, I have observed, as well as everyone else who is or has an internet addiction and posts incessantly on this highly controlled and manipulated site; that the overwhelmingly vast majority of people who post here use fake names.

Using your logic, it naturally follows that as you point out by the virtue of using a fake name that what you have to say SHOULD NOT BE TAKEN SERIOUSLY. According to you, you just called out over 99% of this web blogs members???? It is clear as far as hand signals, which vary widely BTW
and compared with any diver in distress, your further the danger and ignorance which resulted in the Mills woman's negligent homicide. 2 varying topics here, you seem to misunderstand that. But I can't help noticing your comments about the majority of "members" who use this site and their fake names? Are you saying that the vast majority of users of this site should not be taken seriously? You said it, not anyone else. Seems to me you are some kind of hypocrite, using faulty logic and bullying, as well as some kind of woman shaming to make a useless point. Too bad. So many like you here, when you don't get your way you resort to foul language and insults, baseless insults to get your patriarchy power fix, shameful, especially coming from someone who torments the family of a innocent victim.

I am using my real name, because some of you addicts and keyboard warriors can't find my real address or University where I teach and do research, (thank GOD,) you Assume I am using a fake name. Your wrong. I have clearly noticed those that use their "real" names generally are selling something, sound familiar? Your selling something, your advertising is part of your signature and part of your marketing. You have an agenda and clearly have no restraints morally or ethically, your actions are clear for every one to see. As well as your name calling. Fairly transparent comments, contributing nothing. As well as the fact that you yourself limit your personal information, I do believe this is the very definition of a hypocrite. Is it not?

Funny how so many with fake names use the issue of names, real or fake, to make some kind of point with their faulty logic and their incomplete understanding and ignorance of so many issues. When it suits your mood or agenda, calling someone out SIC (seems to be normal with you "Men.") for using a fake name seems to be de rigueur. When you want to incessantly post useless and false information with abandon, having a fake name seems to be preferred.

On a popular woman's scuba site this issue of calling for help and being in distress while submerged is well understood. Being in some kind of distress underwater is a neglected and dangerous issue which is and continues to be ignored by those of the opinion they know better, no amount of name calling and shaming is going to make this issue go away. Scuba training and daily operations need a quick and easy unmistakable signal, a signal to call for help, immediate help. If such a signal existed, Linnea would be alive today. So many here clearly fail to understand that simple point.

Please don't feed the trolls...
So what your implying is the fact that the fact that fake names here are the "normal." That everyone here is a troll?

Or do you have anything to actually contribute to the fact that hand signals are not standardized and differ widely across the globe?

Scuba training and daily operations need a quick and easy unmistakable signal, a signal to call for help, immediate help. If such a signal existed, Linnea would be alive today. So many here clearly fail to understand that simple point.
Actually a signal for saying "I do net feel well" does exist here in Italy. It is on our FIPSAS (CMAS) Diving Manual since the sixties...
You should first point to yourself and then follow with this hand signal:
Feeling-Bad.PNG

Here you see all the hand signals on our diving manual:
I always thought that these signals were "international", but now I doubt this is true.
So, the question is: in which countries other than Italy this two-fingers tumbling signal means "not well" ?
As the signal already exists, can it be "internationalised" ?

Actually a signal for saying "I do net feel well" does exist here in Italy. It is on our FIPSAS (CMAS) Diving Manual since the sixties...
View attachment 794952
I always thought that these signals were "international", but now I doubt this is true.
So, the question is: in which countries other than Italy this two-fingers tumbling signal means "not well" ?
I think of this signal as "go that way (direction of index pointed finger) to exit / ascend (up indicated by the thumb). Could be used to point to the direction of an overhead exit, anchor line, or shore exit point at the end of a dive.

I think of this signal as "go that way (direction of index pointed finger) to exit / ascend (up indicated by the thumb). Could be used to point to the direction of an overhead exit, anchor line, or shore exit point at the end of a dive.
The index is not pointing, it is shaking, such as "no no": it is not very different from the signal "something is wrong" shown on this DAN video, which introduces their proposal for a signal meaning "I do not feel well".
See here at second 25:

Reactions: OTF
View attachment 794952
Angelo, In the US, at least when I was taught, we do the same motion with the whole hand, basically it means something is not right. You can point to ears and use it, or stomach, or head for headache. Not sure we need another signal.

"Thumbs up" in some cultures mean "flipping you the bird." One has to be aware of the potential cultural differences in signals. Same applies to the "V" victory sign. AFAIK, in the UK the "V" sign means different thing depending on which way the fingers are place, front or back.
Thumb up in some cultures can mean that, so can the OK sign. I have been places where the usage can vary depending on location, from one village to the next so you do not know which is which.

However in diving culture thumb up means abort or end dive dive, thumb down means decend and thump to index finger, other fingers splayed means OK. Thumb up and OK are mandatory response signs.

This was covered on my OW, reinforced in my AOW, different instructor, again in my rescue, deep and DM. Every OW course that i have assisted in has included this. I have even heard it repeated in dive briefings.(Not often enough especially with newer divers, IMHO.)

In the water, diving culture rules what the signs mean, in the dry local culture rules what the sign means.

Back
Top Bottom