Not Feeling Well? New Hand signal.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChrisDee

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499

"DAN Dispatch: New Hand Signal Communicates Illness"​

(Did a search, couldn't find any references to this. From DAN that is.)

1684189654736.png

This has been discussed before.

It is stupid and unnecessary. Open water students are taught that they can thumb a dive for any reason. If a diver were to signal this to me (assuming I would recognize it) but didn't want to end the dive, I'd thumb the dive as I don't want that kind of liability of a buddy who is impaired by some problem.

Love the picture of the diver on their knees showing this worthless signal. </sarcasm>

I stated basically this on a discussion on FB, and the Director of Training at DAN and a former training manager at NAUI agreed with me.

Could you show me in any globally certified OW dive course syllabus where ("they can thumb a dive for any reason") this is taught?

I do belive globallly all that is actually taught is to "Not dive, when Not felling well," or something similiar.
thnx

Here is the link to the old vid:

Could you show me in any globally certified OW dive course syllabus where ("they can thumb a dive for any reason") this is taught?

I do belive globallly all that is actually taught is to "Not dive, when Not felling well," or something similiar.
thnx
I'm not at home, but here's something from SDI:

6 Values to Live and Dive By - International Training - SDI | TDI | ERDI | PFI.

4. Know your limits​

As divers and dive instructors, we constantly remind ourselves and our students to always dive within what our training and experience allows. But truly knowing and diving your limits extends well beyond simply not exceeding the limitations of your training.

• Sometimes it means saying “nope” to diving with someone you don’t trust or know well.
  • Sometimes it means calling a dive before reaching your planned gas or time limits.
  • Sometimes it means waking up in the morning and saying, “I do not feel like making that dive today.”
Respecting your limits means not just knowing when to say no or thumb a dive, but also feeling comfortable doing so if you need to. Remember and live by the golden rule: any diver can call any dive at any time for any reason no questions asked. If you don’t feel comfortable acting on this rule and calling a dive, don’t go diving.

I'll look at their materials tonight, as well as SSI's.

Always thought some-thing-wrong was holding a fist with thumb and little finger outstretched and waggling the hand 🤙

Why does this need a new hand signal to confuse everyone?

Worse still, your rotating signalling hand could catch on your snorkel and knock your mask off...

Every course. You can thumb a dive for any reason. I may never dive with you again, but we will end the dive.

thnx
There's no reason for this. If you're ill, you should either remain on the boat/land or get back on the boat/land 👍

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom