Not Feeling Well? New Hand signal.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Could you show me in any globally certified OW dive course syllabus where ("they can thumb a dive for any reason") this is taught?

1684192120678.png

I'm sure it was in your course too.

I believe that wholesale condemnation of this signal is just plain knee-jerk reaction and immature attitude. No one anywhere said anything about divers' right to end the dive for any reasons. This signal is no more and no less than giving the "low on air" signal to a buddy followed by end the dive signal. It is always good to have more specific signals than less even if the end action is the same. Ending the dive can be more urgent or less depending on the circumstances and for divers to be able to communicate better will help the team make decisions based on the urgency of the response even if all responses will mean ending the dive at the end.

Could you show me in any globally certified OW dive course syllabus where ("they can thumb a dive for any reason") this is taught?
I have never been told "exactly when" to thumb a dive.
A thumb up has always been an unconditional thing.
I have been trained by CMAS, PADI, NAUI, IANTD, PSAI and TDI.
I do belive globallly all that is actually taught is to "Not dive, when Not felling well," or something similiar.
Global minimum?

Always thought some-thing-wrong was holding a fist with thumb and little finger outstretched and waggling the hand 🤙

Why does this need a new hand signal to confuse everyone?

No, that's not a something wrong sign. It's a shaka sign, it means some variant of "hang loose," and most people in the world familiar with the sign wouldn't consider it a something wrong sign. A palm down hand rolling back and forth (like what she does in the video), that's a sign about things being sketchy or uncertain.

I believe that wholesale condemnation of this signal is just plain knee-jerk reaction and immature attitude. No one anywhere said anything about divers' right to end the dive for any reasons. This signal is no more and no less than giving the "low on air" signal to a buddy followed by end the dive signal. It is always good to have more specific signals than less even if the end action is the same. Ending the dive can be more urgent or less depending on the circumstances and for divers to be able to communicate better will help the team make decisions based on the urgency of the response even if all responses will mean ending the dive at the end.
It's because it's non obvious as to what the signal is about.

The hand waggle is sometimes seen outside of diving: how are you feeling? Someone uses this hand waggle gesture: 🤙

The key to diving gestures is being really simple. Everyone who gets in the water looses half their IQ; simple means fewer misunderstandings.

"DAN Dispatch: New Hand Signal Communicates Illness"​

(Did a search, couldn't find any references to this. From DAN that is.)

View attachment 783626
I don't like that DAN is running Scubapro ads. On the other hand, associating Scubapro with this inane hand signal might be sending a subtle message.

I was being serious in my question. To me, counterclockwise makes some sense because clocks don't run that way, but then the PADI demo was a clockwise one.

pauldw's response to Wibble further shows how easily signals can be wrong with very slight changes to hand position/shape.

Before this thread, if I saw someone give that signal, I would incorrectly think they wanted to swim around "something." New thoughts for topic to discuss pre-dive.

Back
Top Bottom