Timeframe for diving post covid +

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

3. In the United States, we're now aware that masking can reduce COVID spread (despite some cranks' claims).
We are aware of no such thing. A recent meta analysis of measures to reduce the spread of respiratory viruses found no significant benefit from the masks most commonly used.
We included 12 trials (10 cluster‐RCTs) comparing medical/surgical masks versus no masks to prevent the spread of viral respiratory illness (two trials with healthcare workers and 10 in the community). Wearing masks in the community probably makes little or no difference to the outcome of influenza‐like illness (ILI)/COVID‐19 like illness compared to not wearing masks (risk ratio (RR) 0.95, 95% confidence interval (CI) 0.84 to 1.09; 9 trials, 276,917 participants; moderate‐certainty evidence. Wearing masks in the community probably makes little or no difference to the outcome of laboratory‐confirmed influenza/SARS‐CoV‐2 compared to not wearing masks (RR 1.01, 95% CI 0.72 to 1.42; 6 trials, 13,919 participants; moderate‐certainty evidence).
The authors are not cranks.

With measles, I understand you don't get any symptoms at all (as opposed to just less severe symptoms) once vaccinated.
The measles vaccine is among the more effective ones, but even it isn't 100% effective in preventing symptoms. In a major outbreak of any infectious disease there will always be some vaccine breakthrough cases.
However, I'm thinking that at least some human cells (epithelial, perhaps?) will get infected before killer T-cells or others take out the virus? Or do people who are vaccinated never even have this initial level of infection? I'm having trouble imagining the virus never invading a single cell before being wiped out by the immune response, unless it only infects immune cells that recognize it.
We're kind of getting into the semantics of how "infection" is defined. From a medical standpoint, an infection usually means that there is ongoing reproduction of the pathogen within a multicellular host organism. If the virus is inside some cells but not actively reproducing at detectible levels, then that wouldn't technically be classified as an infection.
Biologists working at the level of individual cells might have a different definition, I'm not sure.

The measles vaccine is among the more effective ones, but even it isn't 100% effective in preventing symptoms. In a major outbreak of any infectious disease there will always be some vaccine breakthrough cases.

We're kind of getting into the semantics of how "infection" is defined. From a medical standpoint, an infection usually means that there is ongoing reproduction of the pathogen within a multicellular host organism. If the virus is inside some cells but not actively reproducing at detectible levels, then that wouldn't technically be classified as an infection.
Biologists working at the level of individual cells might have a different definition, I'm not sure.
Nick - are you a doctor or scientist in the medical field?

I have an MD / PhD from University of Google and did my residency in infectious diseases at Facebook Memorial Hospital. 🤪
Don't trust anything I tell you.

In this particular forum, it’s useful to know credentials of those proferring medical advice. I have a PhD (not from the University of the Internet) but prefer instead to defer to medical pros in this space.

I just remember a bunch of PHDs, MDs, CDC, WHO, Director of NIAID, etc telling everyone something was safe, 99% to 100% effective, prevented infection, prevented transmission, didn't need long-term testing, and trust The Science🙏🏻. Oh hey, is that a hornet's nest over there?

In this particular forum, it’s useful to know credentials of those proferring medical advice. I have a PhD (not from the University of the Internet) but prefer instead to defer to medical pros in this space.

Some folks love to play one to add to the confusion and get into the way of people wanting to get the proper answers and proper help for their issues.

All, let's keep the thread on topic. The mask and vaccine conversations belong elsewhere.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom