Triton Bay - Mini Raja Ampat & More

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Triton Bay gets a lot of attention lately after the publication of Brandon Cole’s article “TRITON BAY, KINGDOM OF THE FISHES” in 4th quarter 2022 DAN’s Alert Diver magazine:

Lisa English, Co-Founder Triton Bay Divers, says in the Karsten Heinrich’s video interview of her on the subject, below, that “you can pretty much find everything here that you can find in Raja Ampat, but in smaller area…” and more, referring to seeing the Whaleshark under a bagan as you would see when you dive in Cendrawasih Bay or Tali Sayang, Sangalaki or Teluk Saleh, Sumbawa.

A couple fantastic short videos of Triton Bay by Naucrates Underwater Videography and Hergen Spalink, below, are also support the above article and interview.

After reading the article & seeing those videos, I went and checked for liveaboards going there and understand why some of them have been fully booked up to 2 years in advance such as

Then @Lorenzoid happened to post here, Suggested length of trip to Triton Bay? about White Manta liveaboard start doing similar Misool-Triton Bay crossing trip. So I talked to Max Hand, Operations Manager of White Manta Diving and he added 15-24 of January, 2025 to their trip schedule. With that information, I asked Tim Yeo of Bluewater Travel to set up a group trip for my dive club and extended dive buddies including you all Scubaboard members to take advantage of $742 group discount if you go with us.

Here’s the link to that trip:

Let me know if you have any questions.

Then @Lorenzoid happened to post here, Suggested length of trip to Triton Bay? about White Manta liveaboard start doing similar Misool-Triton Bay crossing trip. So I talked to Max Hand, Operations Manager of White Manta Diving and he added 15-24 of January, 2025 to their trip schedule. With that information, I asked Tim Yeo of Bluewater Travel to set up a group trip for my dive club and extended dive buddies including you all Scubaboard members to take advantage of $742 group discount if you go with us.
Very thoughtful of you, Dan. As for me, my wife would kill me if I took a trip like that without her, and anyway, having never even been to RA, our first trip to that part of Indonesia would logically be Misool-Misool. STILL on our bucket list. Triton is clearly now on everyone's radar, though.

Reactions: Dan
Don't rule-out staying at the Triton Bay resort. I stayed with Triton Bay Explorers in October/Novermber 2022 for 7 days and then went on to stay with Papau Explorers (Raja Ampat) for 7 days.

Somehow, people have gotten the idea that Triton Bay is 'expensive', at least compared to Raja Ampat

Triton Bay --- $2734
Papau Explorers -- $2675

When I return, it will be a no-brainer for me

Don't rule-out staying at the Triton Bay resort. I stayed with Triton Bay Explorers in October/Novermber 2022 for 7 days and then went on to stay with Papau Explorers (Raja Ampat) for 7 days.

Somehow, people have gotten the idea that Triton Bay is 'expensive', at least compared to Raja Ampat

Triton Bay --- $2734
Papau Explorers -- $2675

🙏 Thanks for the tip!

So, there is another dive resort in Triton Bay (Triton Bay Explorer)?

My bad. Triton Bay Divers.

That is one of the beauties of diving there. You're not accompanied by 1000 of your closest friends on the dive sites

Triton Bay --- $2734
Papau Explorers -- $2675

It’s still less than a typical liveaboard for a week that’s not a budget liveaboard and given how remote it is with no other options, it isn’t unreasonable IMO. Papua Explorers is also really awesome but there are also other less expensive land options available for people to choose from. I gave some detailed thoughts on pricing for TB here: Suggested length of trip to Triton Bay?

@Lorenzoid when you’re ready for RA do a 10-12 night liveaboard. It will cover Central (Dampier) and South (Misool) for 10 and some north (wayag) if you do the 11-12, depending. That would be a good sampler. Whatever area you love the most, go back and dive it land based if you can. You get to see it in more detail, along with more dive sites that liveaboards generally don’t visit, and with guides that know the sites better.

Are there homestays in the Triton Bay area like there is in Raja Ampat ?

Are there homestays in the Triton Bay area like there is in Raja Ampat ?
Nope. There are some temporary fishing camps, but Triton Bay Divers is the only permanent facility on the island

Thanks for that. Is R4 / Triton your best diving ?

Thanks for that. Is R4 / Triton your best diving ?
Too many people in RA. It's being loved to death. I had a surface interval with ~200 other divers on the same small island. For warm water and variety of macro and larger critters, yes Triton Bay

I love British Columbia, Canada but the water is cold. 5-6oC, low 40's oF

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom