Not everyone thinks cave diving is the pinnacle of SCUBA!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can't believe there is someone out there that does not think cave divers are the best divers in the world.:D On a more serious note the reason most cave divers get bent out of shape when they see non trained properly equiped divers in a cave system is that many caves have been closed due to deaths of divers. In fact one cave which had the possibility of being the deepest cave in Florida was actually dynamited at a restriction due to the death of a non cave trained diver dying in it. To this day no one has been able to explore this cave due to this one death. This cave is now just a training ground in North Florida that alot of open water divers use. So the next time you go to Morrison Springs and go into the lower cavern and see all the rubble at the bottom just think that some arrogant open water diver decided to go in without the proper training and gear and due to his death the cave was destroyed. I personally do not care if someone exceeds their training and is killed in the process except for the fact that it can effect others. There are the recovery divers who have to go in and get the body and the media does not report the facts that it was some idiot diving beyond their trainign that got killed. They just state it is a cave diver. This has caused numerous problems with trained cave divers getting access to caves. In fact at one time there was even talk of banning cave diving in the state of Florida. Thankfully this did not happen but how would you feel if everytime a diver died in your part of the country you were denied access to the site they died at. This is what cave divers have fought against for a long time. So please be considerate and stay out of the caves if you are not properly trained.

Now as a side note I have experienced the attitude you are talking about from dive masters, dive instructors, Northeast wreck divers as well as cave divers. I am definitely not the best diver in the world but I feel that I can hold my own in a cave or a wreck. I can definitely tell you from my experience that over all the best divers are cave divers. Now there are outliers to every thing and I have seen some good wreck divers but if you go to any basic cave diving location in Florida (Peacock , Ginnie, Jackson Blue) I can almost guarantee you that there will be better divers overall than on almost any boat anywhere diving a reef or wreck. Now in cave diving the dive is the hard part and the deco is easy and in wreck diving it is the other way around from my experience.

I am sure my opinion will offend some and I am not trying to do that but from my experience this is what I have seen.

"grave disturbance" ahahaa. Good one my fellow Canadian.
:)
:wink: glad someone picked up on it

It's still highly disturbing to read that the general attitude of a lot of people in this topic when someone physically touches them is to kick, punch and stab their way to reason without even knowing why the person is there. 2 results, of which are jokes under google for scuba mugging and scuba assault brings up 5" figures of Batman instead of news reports of people being horribly maimed for no reason by others. What reason do you have to think this is the appropriate reaction to someone getting your attention? If they do manage to bring you to the surface, again- you can talk to them and see what is up. Choose to descend again if you want now that you can have a full fledged conversation, call them whatever names you wish. Again, you can't be treating the underwater environment as the same as you do land. Someone runs up and grabs you and drags you to some dark alley, that's cause for alarm and action to resist- that sort of thing is common on land and usually ends badly.

Why would anyone waste money on a "6" pig sticker" anyways? It surely doesn't sound like it's meant for safety the way you're waving the name around. That type of blade size is illegal in a lot of countries anyways (5" is the limit here in CAN), I'm sure US has the 6" law but if you do a lot of travel it just seems cost-efficient to buy something that is legal in most areas you plan on going. I have a 2.5" blade that's serrated on one side with a line cutter, standard sharp edge on the other and blunt tip for prying with a metal pummel for tank banging, does everything I've needed it to do for me.

Please.... Stop with the sad song about going in and getting the body out.... If you can't handle dead bodies, Don't go and do it... Leave it to the guys that don't mind it...

Jim...

Your comments amount to "I can do whatever I want to, and I don't care that I'll be endangering others and inconveniencing everyone else."

I'd have to say that FNFALMan's comments come off more as "I can do whatever I want, however I want to, and don't care if I screw up everything for everyone else, and if you mess with me I've got a knife and I'll kill you."

Nice...

Since someone gearing up for a cave dive with a 6 "pig sticker" is a dead giveaway of cluelessness, I say that any of those that are of a mind to intervene should start in the parking area. That way, if there's killing, then at least it doesn't get blamed on a killer cave, and you're more likely to be better equipped for the fight out there.

Please.... Stop with the sad song about going in and getting the body out.... If you can't handle dead bodies, Don't go and do it... Leave it to the guys that don't mind it...

Jim...

The guys that "can handle it" that you're thinking of DO mind it. Its NOT something anyone likes and it leaves quite the lasting impression.

The guys that "can handle it" that you're thinking of DO mind it. Its NOT something anyone likes and it leaves quite the lasting impression.

Liking it and not bothered by it are not the same... Like I said... Your in the wrong place if it gets to you...

Jim...

I never said lay hands on any one, nor would I. Sad,... in many ways that there some divers use the brains well south in their anatomy, rather than the God given gray matter between their ears. My only advice to such divers is, there is nothing in ANY cave worth your life (regardless of how good you think you are). Get the training,... The caves will wait.

I agree 100%, what's worse even still is that thats not limited to just divers lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Back
Top Bottom