Not everyone thinks cave diving is the pinnacle of SCUBA!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Snake101

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

this thread has been moved from the Basic forum so that the more stringent moderation rules are not applied and due to the subject matter. Marg, ScubaBoard Senior Moderator

Okay this has been building with me for a while and I really wanted to voice my concern about this issue because myself and several newer divers that I know have been very annoyed by what I will refer to as the "cave diver attitude".

A bit of background- I am a new dive master that lives in the heart of cave country. I do springs and caverns mostly because that is all that is easily accessible to me. This means that I am frequently running into cave divers both on the surface and below and in the MANY cave dive shops around here.

Often times we will start talking and time after time they ask me if I am working towards a cave certification and when I say "No, I am not interested in cave diving" it becomes their mission to convert me. You would think they were Jehova's witnesses with how they hound me about cave diving. "You will be interested," or "you just don't know what you're missing," or "if you take my intro class I will change your mind," one person even said "you're not a real diver until you've seen a cave," and it just keeps coming.
These are the nice cave divers. I can live with this but you guys should really know that it is annoying. I have seen caverns and a cave is just a lot more homogenous limestone similar to the cavern with a higher risk- no thanks.

The not so nice ones are snooty to the extreme. I stopped at a cave dive shop that was nearby an OW spring that I was diving and had some rented aluminum 80's that I wanted filled. Without being in the shop for more than 30 seconds the lady working there says with her nose held high and referring to our AL 80's, "oh- we are a cave dive shop so there is nothing here for you." That's verbatim. Okay- that's fine. My buddy was going to look at wetsuits (which they had) and I was looking for a decent light (again which they had) and we were going to purchase some tank fills but they obviously did not want our money even though we were the ONLY ONES IN THE SHOP. The shop was the Dive Outpost about a mile east of Peacock Springs on 180th.e

The worst kind is the over-zealous cavers. I get that you do not want to have inexperienced people to die in caves but your responsibility for this stops at the water. During my conversations with cavers I have heard of 3 separate times a caver "dragged" or "pushed" (terms used by the caver) an inexperienced diver out of a cave/ cavern mouth. Once while I was entering a cavern (which I was certified to do) a caver mistook me for an OW diver and tried to block the entrance. Had I not had a slate to communicate with him and he tried to drag me out of a cavern I would consider it kidnapping and press charges as hard as I could. I get the good intentions but worry about yourself and your buddy when you are underwater- not me.

This is not meant to offend cavers but maybe to point this out to them.

My point is that this kind of attitude and behavior is driving people away from the sport. Non-cave/ tech divers should not be looked down upon. I know that I am not the only one that feels this way but has anyone in this forum noticed it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Watch the first 10 minutes of DIR 3 on you tube. See what George says at 3:05 and again at 4:20

[video=youtube;TD4K0SzZijI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TD4K0SzZijI[/video]

I love diving caverns and did so for something like 36 dives till curiosity took over and I needed more training.

I totally agree with you, there is no reason to push past where your passion directs you to go. If you ever do become curious about what lies beyond the cavern zone, just be sure to seek professional cave training before exploring. The hazards are not obvious, so this is extremely important.

If the caves never call to you, then enjoy the beauty of the caverns. 100+ cave dives (and a full cave certification) later, sometimes I am still very happy kicking around a cavern enjoying it's beauty ;-).

I believe the ultimate achievement in diving, is finding your happy place underwater and doing it safely :).

Heck, did you ever run into somebody who hadn't thought about diving, and try to tell them they'd love it if they tried it? All of us who find something marvelous and exciting tend to try to pass that along to others. It just so happens that those of us who find the caves fascinating and irresistible occasionally have trouble understanding why somebody else wouldn't, if they would just give it a try . . . it's human nature.

Snootiness is human nature too, but I agree that it isn't very attractive. On the other hand, cave country is cave country, and they don't see many other sorts of divers.

Shouldn't this be in whine and cheese not basic scuba?

otherwise this should be entertaining.

not a cave diver, nor do I ever intend to enter a cave, although I have run into this attitude from other disciplines.

Snake, the main thing is to try and keep your sense of humor. After all, you don't want to become as humorless as a cave diver, do you? ;^)

Other than that, I pretty much agree with TS&M . . . even if she is a cave diver.

As for how you explain how you were treated at the shop . . . that kind of treatment is inappropriate in the extreme. Can't help but wonder if the shop owner is onside with that. If so, then there should be a sign posted on the door and/or in any advertising that they do. On the other hand, you may want to ask yourself if any of your pre-existing annoyance with cave divers was showing when you were in the shop.

Back
Top Bottom