Not certified and still diving? How???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah. But those people are becoming extinct today I am afraid. Back when it was common, or even necessary to teach yourself how to dive, people were independent, resourcefull, intellectual, and tough.

Even the children. Why, I remember playing on monkey bars that were way over my head, and on asphalt or concrete. When you fell off, you got hurt. Today, you need more pads than an offensive lineman in the NFL to climb 3 feet off the ground, which is covered in shredded tires. I used to ride my bike 3 miles to school, with just my friends. Now they can't even walk themselves to school if the school is directly across the street!

I remember my grandfather's car didn't have seat belts, they were optional. Now my car screams at me if I try to back it out of the garage just to wash it if I don't buckle up.

See, today's adults are just not that interesting. They are not that adventurous. They only want to pretend what they are doing is a little bit dangerous, for the rush. They certainly don't want to risk anything.

Older generations may well have ruined the planet, but mine is ruining the human spirit, what with their bicycle helmets and travel soccer teams:shakehead: Not to mention we are raising idiots who can't spell anything that has more than three letters. Or think that numbers and symbols are acceptable substitutes. Hell I am going back to college for a degree and I see it with the college students.
So yeah, if kids in college can't tell the difference between "you" and "u" on a term paper, they sure as hell can't learn scuba by themselves.

But you can be darn sure that they will one day be the lawyers that make sure no one gets the chance to do anything by themselves anymore... We just are no longer pioneering, no longer adventurous. If you can't do it on WII, it is just too dangerous.

NASA will never get to Mars, we don't have the guts to ask those that would to even go to the Moon...:depressed:

This reminds me of the first time I saw Cousteau on TV when I was a kid and he would smoke cigarettes between dives. I surmise that people were made differently back then somehow, or were simply more pioneering in spirit. I used to complain when our air conditioning broke in Iraq and the guys in the Ardennes fought in rags and lost fingers and toes to frostbite. The moral of my ranting is that I'd dive with a crusty old diver like Captain or Nemrod any day over a dude with tons of plastic in his logbook, ceteris paribus. Come to think of it...I didn't even have a logbook (or plastic in it) until 2008, I have managed to not nuke myself.

Note: I'm not saying that people shouldn't get certified to dive. I don't want someone with a funny colored name yelling at me :D

I have some sympathy with the "kids are too molly-coddled these days" view, but only up to a point. It is pretty hard to tell someone who has had to bury their kid that we shouldn't try quite so hard to protect them.

This is true. But I don't remember any kid dieing, or even getting seriously hurt when I was a child, except for two. One was hit by a car on his bike, and the other was in his parent's car that got plowed by a drunk guy. I do understand the desire to protect your children. However look at what is happening in the US these days. How many kids are being classified as "obese", or even more rediculous, "morbidly obese"? We have coddled them into a life long struggle with dangerously high weight problems.

Wow, way to generalise! :wink: And I notice you provide no evidence for all your generalisations.

I imagine your parents' generation thought pretty much the same about your generation. Every single generation thinks the one that comes after it is worse than them. :wink: I can't wait to see what I will be saying about young people when I get older :D

Well, no evidence needed here, just a conversation amongst friends, I will leave the APA stuff for college:wink:

But it is still true. Granted I started that post as satire, but really, it turned out far to accurate to leave it that way.

And you are right, every generation thinks the next one is too sheltered or lazy. And you know what? They are right. I grew up in the 70's and 80's, we played outside, rough and tumble. Today they play inside, video games. Sure I enjoyed Pong, or Super Mario Bros, but only when it was raining. Otherwise I was outside exlporing the woods, playing football (real football, and rugby too, not that soccer stuff) baseball, you name it. You don't see pick up games any more in the fields around here. Most of them you can't play on without permission! From the town! Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?!?!

I won't say it is the kids fault, this is the world they are growing up into.

Several years ago my wallet was stolen, yeah, long story, early onset dementia or something. All turned out well after a certain credit card company broke the law and whispered in my ear the address of the perp and then using Google earth I zoomed in on his apartment and then the cops with help from a Honda salesman nabbed him. BUT, I went with no cards for almost two years because they were evidence. I did have problem in the Florida parks and borrowed a card but after that, no problems.

Kids today wear their keyboard out, we wore the tires off of our bikes, they are softer, fatter, dumber. Oh, I said "fat" I am so bad and non PC, yep, they are plump little rug rats.

N

The safety police are everywhere these days, in government, in schools , at work. One time at work little folding key chain knives about an inch and a half long were handed out as a award for some company achievement. Well someone got a nasty cut using one so the knee jerk reaction was to have everyone turn in the knives and attend knife safety training, ridiculous.
It is one of the reasons I decided to retire early, I was tired of all the "all accidents are preventable" propaganda. I guess they are if you do nothing but sit on your behind, which lot of co-workers did just for that reason. Doing nothing wasn't a reason for termination but having an accident was.

Everyplace I've been is pretty strict and wants the c card.

I would agree if you are defining "everyplace you've been" as a site or charter that is run by someone who has a vested interest in insuring themselves. If you go to places that are, for example, not owned by anyone like some lakes, rivers, quarries, and ocean sites (without a charter) then there is nobody there to check to ensure that you have a card. You can simply get your tanks filled and go.

When I first dove in 2002, the site we dove was public domain in Crete, so I didn't need to get a card. I also didn't speak Greek either which meant that I was lucky that we had divers on our installation who could answer my questions. It is kind of nice to just drive out to the water with just a few dudes, wade in, and go diving. It definitely makes you feel like master of your own destiny and fosters an attitude of independence from the teet of the dive master...because there isn't one.

NOTE: I am not recommending that people dive uncertified. I am just saying that I did. :eyebrow:

Just came back from San Andres - you got money you dive - unreal. Had four guys run out of air in the week we dove.
One guy runs out at 90 feet - less than 20 minutes into the dive. One girl did not have a wet suit - only the smallest of a thong. Had no boyancy just up and down. Landed just in front of me - like a gift from the heavens but seriously .....
They take them on the discovery dive and then try to sell them on going out the next day. After some heated discussions, they brought a second dive master . Certified group and a uncertified group.
Did not want to be a party to an accident

Just came back from San Andres - One girl did not have a wet suit - only the smallest of a thong. Had no boyancy just up and down. Landed just in front of me - like a gift from the heavens but seriously .....

Hrrm, this is very serious. How do I get there exactly? This clearly merits close inspection...

In 17 years of diving, not once have I ever had anyone ask to see any my C cards. Not for air, not for EAN, and now that I'm in tech classes, not even for HE. I have though been required to write down my cert. #'s in the blender's log books though.

If you don't use charters and don't rent gear, you don't need certification. Some people learn to dive on their own or from other people, some people just want to their own thing.

How do you get air fills?
A buddy?
Not that it really matters.
I'd dive with someone who isn't certified but has good skills vs. someone who is certified and is a sucky buddy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom