Not certified and still diving? How???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Me neither and it is actually how most people learn to dive, then and now, so if we are admitting that is where the actual instruction and learning comes from, mentors and buddies, why pay the evil PadI five red cents for substandard coloring books and color coordination guides? That is what I fail to see.

N

Well. You'd pay PADI or whoever because you are assisting shops and other places that provide diving services in protecting their liability. It isn't just about what the customer wants, it is about what the service provider wants also and they apparently want cards in many places to prove to them that someone is a certified diver. If they don't want to sell you a fill because you are uncertified, well that is their choice.

Also one would also pay PADI or whoever, if they do not have anybody around who can teach them to dive. I learned the basics through my OW course and I hope to learn a lot more through mentors and more experienced divers (I did not know anybody local who could teach me diving before I actually started diving). If the drop out rate is 90%~, that does not particularly bother me (I think there are too many divers at my local sites anyhow, well now that it is summer :wink:). I think those with motivation to keep diving will generally seek out other teaching regardless of if their OW course was not comprehensive. OW is a start.

I knew how to drive safely long before I got my licence (and I learned from friends, not instructors). But I still had to buy the damn thing and take a test to prove that I could drive once I was of age. That's just how the world works in many places and quite honestly I don't care that much, there are much more important things I think are worth complaining about :)

They may even charge less for paintball fills:wink:

So what if I have a sticker on my tank that says the air is not breathable, if I got the fill at a reputable shop, the air is good to go. If I am going on a boat dive I can always cover the sticker with some tape that has my name, or 21%, or whatever on it. That is if they even notice.

I was simply pointing out that some places are taking steps to make it more difficult for non-certified folks to go diving. Normally tanks used for paintball are one that have failed either VIP, Hydro or both, so the air is good going in but might not be coming out (due to rust or whatever contamination might have cause the failed VIP). It's also likely that they won't fill the tank up to the same pressure as if it were to be used for diving

I was simply pointing out that some places are taking steps to make it more difficult for non-certified folks to go diving. Normally tanks used for paintball are one that have failed either VIP, Hydro or both, so the air is good going in but might not be coming out (due to rust or whatever contamination might have cause the failed VIP). It's also likely that they won't fill the tank up to the same pressure as if it were to be used for diving

If a shop is going to fill a paintball tank that is out of VIP or hydro they are breaking their own rules put in place to protect themselves or so they tell divers.

Refurring to your previous post about rebreather certifications I know of one diver who built his own and taught himself to use it.

I have a friend that has been certified since 1978. He has never gone past OW status, and dives once a year. On our last dive, he and his girlfriend (certified a few years with 20 dives) penetrated a wreck in Cozumel. Not a huge deal since it was a guided tour, and a small wreck. I am AOW, and would never consider entering any wreck without taking a wreck course....guided tour or not.

I'm astounded that they didn't even hesitate.

I would never be comfortable as his buddy (thank god I haven't been asked) since he only dives once a year and has no desire to further his diving education. However, he has many more dives and years of experience on me. Any thoughts? Am I a wuss?

If a shop is going to fill a paintball tank that is out of VIP or hydro they are breaking their own rules put in place to protect themselves or so they tell divers.
Well, I don't see an issue filling a tank w/o a VIP for paintball, however the hydro is a D.O.T. thing, and if they are filling a tank that failed a hydro not only are they endangering whoever is filling it, but they are also breaking the law. I think. I could be wrong, and as we learned in another recent thread when it comes to laws I often am:D
Refurring to your previous post about rebreather certifications I know of one diver who built his own and taught himself to use it.
Jeepers, is this guy Mr. Wizard with a full on machine shop in his garage? I would love to build my own CCR, probably would save a ton of money. Hats off to him...

I have a friend that has been certified since 1978. He has never gone past OW status, and dives once a year. On our last dive, he and his girlfriend (certified a few years with 20 dives) penetrated a wreck in Cozumel. Not a huge deal since it was a guided tour, and a small wreck. I am AOW, and would never consider entering any wreck without taking a wreck course....guided tour or not.

I'm astounded that they didn't even hesitate.

I would never be comfortable as his buddy (thank god I haven't been asked) since he only dives once a year and has no desire to further his diving education. However, he has many more dives and years of experience on me. Any thoughts? Am I a wuss?
For one, OW and AOW are really certifiying you for the same activity and levels. In order to be "certified" to dive more complex dives, you need to take other courses, like nitrox, and from there the various tec or cavern/cave classes. Otherwise you are both certified for NDL diving with no overhead. You can do whatever kind of diving you want, or have access to though, no laws saying you can't do staged deco on a 300 foot wreck with CCR. Other than Murphy's, that is.

Second, as far as not buddying up with someone, that is your call. It does not matter a lick, if you are not comfortable with his approach to diving, for any reason, by all means refuse to dive him. Are you a wuss? I don't think so. You know your limits. If you want to advance beyond them then find a way to push them, if not, who cares? It is your diving, plan and execute it in a way that works best for you.:)

I think 1966 Popular Mechanics had a write up on a gill system for underwater exploration. It used a folded membrane for osmotic reduction of O2 from the water, gas could be mixed at the mouthpiece.

N

Me neither and it is actually how most people learn to dive, then and now, so if we are admitting that is where the actual instruction and learning comes from, mentors and buddies, why pay the evil PadI five red cents for substandard coloring books and color coordination guides? That is what I fail to see.

N
you're not paying for the books, you're paying for the rear window decal & the shoulder badge.

I'm not exactly sure about the procedure but I know my old boss's did it all the time. Although I do agree with Drew, the VIP isn't as big of a deal as hydro

Would you happen to know how long ago he did that? I'm just curious because so far everywhere I have looked has said they only sell to certified CCR divers or to the instructors. Obviously there are ways of getting around this (like ebay or purchasing from a forums member), though, but with something like a rebreather I wouldn't tempt fate

I'm not exactly sure about the procedure but I know my old boss's did it all the time. Although I do agree with Drew, the VIP isn't as big of a deal as hydro

Would you happen to know how long ago he did that? I'm just curious because so far everywhere I have looked has said they only sell to certified CCR divers or to the instructors. Obviously there are ways of getting around this (like ebay or purchasing from a forums member), though, but with something like a rebreather I wouldn't tempt fate

He built it a couple of years ago.

tom rose does it all the time. he's dived with a rebreather he built from a hot water bottle. he's the diy 'breather guru.

that doesn't mean i'll do it...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom