Not certified and still diving? How???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:lol:

So what resurrected this thread? :popcorn:

I dove from 1963 to 1980 without a c-card, as far as I'm concerned my "rights to dive have been [-]eliminate or[/-] restricted in order to save [-]us[/-] me from [-]ourselves[/-] myself......" I could have continued to dive without the card but the writing was on the wall in California and I had the time.

My point is that all this lack of diving knowledge causing accidents are happening to certified divers. Stupidity, irresponsibility, mistakes and bad judgment do not disappear when you get a c-card.

Bob, they aren't trying to save you from yourself, they are trying to save thier money from your family. If you (the generic, not YOU in particular) die in a diving accident, the first thing the lawyers ask will be if you had a cert. WHAT?! they let you dive you dive without a card?! End of trial, the family wins a multimillion lawsuit becuase the company failed to ensure prper qualifications.

If you want to dive off a boat without a card, charter a boat to be your water taxi, and you can dive all you want. Dive ops have a legal responsibilty.

If you want to dive off a boat without a card, charter a boat to be your water taxi, and you can dive all you want. Dive ops have a legal responsibilty.

The interesting fact is that I have never been asked for my c-card on a boat, so far, they just ask you to fill out the paperwork and write down a number. I guess they don't have a legal responsibility to actually check.

I had my ability to purchase air curtailed by the young air monkeys asking for the card which prompted the certification. Shows how times have changed, at 16 I could get a SCUBA tank filled no questions asked. Could have picked up a bottle of acetylene, oxygen or any other gas they had on hand. We had to get air from a compressed gas supplier because the were no SCUBA shops in the area. If I screwed up it was my responsibility, now adults are not expected to be responsible for their own actions. I don't believe this is a positive change.

Bob
----------------------------
I may be old but I’m not dead yet.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom