Not certified and still diving? How???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Please read the two threads for the Vortex diving accident....or the numerous other threads where lack of knowledge, training, experience, equipment, etc. caused a serious accident or death...........................

Why do we associate freedom with lack of knowledge and say it is okay? Why is it okay to promote or condone others to dive without the proper training? [It is only 200 ft inside the cave....]

Diving is not rocket science, but I will not risk my life or the lives of my children on a doctor who is not a doctor....I do not want to risk my life or the lives of any first responders on someone who only went down a 150 feet on their "first" dive with their best buddy.....

I do not think we need a certification for everything! (Tying our shoes..opps we do not wear shoes).

If we are unable to police ourselves, we may find one day that our rights to dive have been eliminate or restricted in order to save us from ourselves......

Happy Diving

I don't think ive ever heard of anyone being denied an air fill around here based on lack of a C-card. The only exceptions i can think of are for buying nitrox and when my dad who filled his tanks on his own compressor took his tanks to a dive shop to get them filled when his compressor broke and they refused to fill them since they where out of test.

You know, I could learn to fly a plane on my own .. all the old timers did it that way :wink:

as for the, some people can learn to dive on their own comment .. sure they could .. but a question is ...

which ones can learn to dive safely on their own?
how do you tell them apart from the ones that are severely lacking in some basic area?

No way can anyone seriously suggest that someone new to the sport do it on their own or with a buddy that already knows how to dive.
It comes up often here on scubaboard, sometimes in the Accidents And Incidents thread ... you don't know what you don't know

And as far as String's stifling discussion comment, this is Basic Scuba, you could start a thread about certs somewhere else

My father flew for nearly 50 years, had an areal photography service. He never had a pilots license, when he started he didn't need one so guess he didn't see a need to get one. I rode motorcycles for like 25 years and yep you guessed it, never had a license for that either. I remember when they came out and said you had to get one and I figured I get it when I got caught, never did.

Please read the two threads for the Vortex diving accident....or the numerous other threads where lack of knowledge, training, experience, equipment, etc. caused a serious accident or death...........................

Why do we associate freedom with lack of knowledge and say it is okay? Why is it okay to promote or condone others to dive without the proper training? [It is only 200 ft inside the cave....]

Diving is not rocket science, but I will not risk my life or the lives of my children on a doctor who is not a doctor....I do not want to risk my life or the lives of any first responders on someone who only went down a 150 feet on their "first" dive with their best buddy.....

I do not think we need a certification for everything! (Tying our shoes..opps we do not wear shoes).

If we are unable to police ourselves, we may find one day that our rights to dive have been eliminate or restricted in order to save us from ourselves......

Happy Diving

You are the person equating freedom with lack of knowledge. The person in the Vortex incident had training, and in his proper training he was told numerous times the limits of his training and to stay within those limits as we all were in our respective classes, he exercised his freedom and chose to exceed his training and paid for it.

I dove from 1963 to 1980 without a c-card, as far as I'm concerned my "rights to dive have been [-]eliminate or[/-] restricted in order to save [-]us[/-] me from [-]ourselves[/-] myself......" I could have continued to dive without the card but the writing was on the wall in California and I had the time.

My point is that all this lack of diving knowledge causing accidents are happening to certified divers. Stupidity, irresponsibility, mistakes and bad judgment do not disappear when you get a c-card.

Bob
---------------------------------
I may be old but I’m not dead yet.

Not pushing the envelope just poking at it on occasion.

Last edited:
You are the person equating freedom with lack of knowledge. The person in the Vortex incident had training, and in his proper training he was told numerous times the limits of his training and to stay within those limits as we all were in our respective classes, he exercised his freedom and chose to exceed his training and paid for it.

I dove from 1963 to 1980 without a c-card, as far as I'm concerned my "rights to dive have been [-]eliminate or[/-] restricted in order to save [-]us[/-] me from [-]ourselves[/-] myself......" I could have continued to dive without the card but the writing was on the wall in California and I had the time.

My point is that all this lack of diving knowledge causing accidents are happening to certified divers. Stupidity, irresponsibility, mistakes and bad judgment do not disappear when you get a c-card.

Bob
---------------------------------
I may be old but I’m not dead yet.

Not pushing the envelope just poking at it on occasion.

I taught my self to dive at age 13 I got certified at age 28 out of necessity. I still have only that basic certification but have done many dives that I am not "certified" to do as opposed to not "qualified" to do, there is a difference and have survived to age 66 learning all along the the way.

My father flew for nearly 50 years, had an areal photography service. He never had a pilots license, when he started he didn't need one so guess he didn't see a need to get one. I rode motorcycles for like 25 years and yep you guessed it, never had a license for that either. I remember when they came out and said you had to get one and I figured I get it when I got caught, never did.

You rebel you :cool2:

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom