Not allowed on a boat because of your dive agency card?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I could go on, but the real problem is that they try to scare you into doing things their way. If something sounds patently unreasonable: it probably is.
While I agree very much with the general concept, I think for the most part the person stating the myth sincerely believes it. As human beings, one of our innate failings is that we tend to believe what we are told. If we somehow hear one of those myths, we repeat it without thinking, no matter how silly it seems if we give it some thought.

And you forgot to mention how a DM will leap in the water in a frantic attempt to save you if you push your mask up to your forehead.

It's just another NetDoc excursion into the realm of logical fallacies.:D
Oops, I forgot Thal's favorite: "You'll die if you dive the Pacific with a weight integrated BCD!" :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:

I never said that, not even something similar, but then why start confusing yourself with reality at this late stage?

While I agree very much with the general concept, I think for the most part the person stating the myth sincerely believes it.
Its passed down from Instructor to student much like "Computers rot your brain!" People with agendas and strong opinions often stretch the truth and reality to make their point. They may or may not fully believe what they are saying, but they want to win the argument. Currently we have one individual bent (soon to be literal) on proving that bounce dives are normal and a good idea. While some would have us simply censor such drivel, it serves as a great sounding board for responsible divers to discuss how to dive safely and within sane limits. Without such candid discussion, these myths would have a far wider audience. Reasonable people have no problems discerning reasonable discussions and rejecting unreasonable claims.

Reactions: Jax
... People with agendas and strong opinions often stretch the truth and reality to make their point. They may or may not fully believe what they are saying, but they want to win the argument. ...
Hmmm, yah think?:D:D:D

Its passed down from Instructor to student much like "Computers rot your brain!" People with agendas and strong opinions often stretch the truth and reality to make their point. They may or may not fully believe what they are saying, but they want to win the argument. Currently we have one individual bent (soon to be literal) on proving that bounce dives are normal and a good idea. While some would have us simply censor such drivel, it serves as a great sounding board for responsible divers to discuss how to dive safely and within sane limits. Without such candid discussion, these myths would have a far wider audience. Reasonable people have no problems discerning reasonable discussions and rejecting unreasonable claims.

Hmmm, yah think?:D:D:D

Get a room you two!

:D :D :D :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:

We've got an entire forum! :D So you know, I had already PMed Thal to let him know that it was just a bitOfun at his expense. :D I told him that so I didn't accidentally start "World War Thal".... which I also thought was punny. Hey, I laugh at my own jokes only cuz no one else will! :D

Last edited:
Its passed down from Instructor to student much like "Computers rot your brain!"

Hmmmm ... I know exactly where that one comes from. It has nothing to do with computers, yanno ... and everything to do with the tendency of people to accept data without making an effort to understand what it really means, or why it matters.

There's nothing wrong with computers ... and quite a lot wrong with relying on them to do your thinking for you.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Hmmmm ... I know exactly where that one comes from.
Me too... and I have found that it has made its ways to the Keys, but the instructor making the statement had no idea of its origins and was using it all wrong. The funny part? When I told him the origin was UP and what it was in reference to, he told me I was wrong and should do a bit of research to get my facts straight. :rofl3: Guys like this are always priceless to talk with and he regaled me with lots of stories about his daring do and how he single handedly saved countless students. I almost pointed out that properly trained, students shouldn't need saving, but why? Its impossible to reason with unreasonable people. The point is, once a pithy saying expands past the original circle of influence, the inference shifts a bit. Like the bit about giving your regulator to a fish. The first instructor I heard it from stated that narcosis was precisely NOT that. His divemaster that became an instructor told one of his classes the exact opposite. After his class I pulled him aside and told him that wasn't a good way to teach narcosis. He didn't believe me either until he called the instructor trainer and got straightened out. No, I don't do that often, but Tom is a good friend. Friends don't let friends teach stupid. :D

Its my opinion that fear, like anger and disparagement, is an enemy of learning. Trying to scare your students into submission is no better than an angry tirade or terse ridicule. True understanding comes with patience and careful reasoning. I want my students to come back to me for training because they had fun and were challenged and not because I scared them with some myth about the competition or their agency.

My original cert back in the 1960s was through Los Angeles County. When I traveled outside the region, some ops were skeptical about the card (and its age). I frequently had to undergo check-out dives. While in Australia I decided to get a PADI AOW card (even though my LAC card went through Rescue). What triggered that? The instructor at the dive op in Cairns not only recognized my LAC card immediately, he called it a "museum piece."

I generally use my LAC whenever I dive and if the dive op questions it, I pull out one of my PADI cards.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom