Norte for days

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Breazy but easterly
(kph)
1697907698541.png

Wind direction is much more important than wind speed in Cozumel. Almost any wind east of due north will not affect the diving on the west/primary side of Cozume. Looks very good now!

Dave DILLEHAYl

Hi @Divedoggie

That's interesting, I have not heard that Terics read 2 degrees warm. I have not heard others complaining about it.
Hi scubadada,

I haven't heard anyone complaining about it either. Just making a comment based on observation. We've been a Shearwater dealer for many years, and haven't had any official comments from Shearwater about the accuracy of the Teric's thermometer.

I first noticed the discrepancy in the pool. Teric said that it was 80º, but the whole class was shivering. I compared my Teric with my DM's Suunto and her's said 78º. My business partner and I decided to compare Teric temperature readings to other computers in the swimming pool when we teach. Like I mentioned before, our entire staff uses Terics, and the Terics consistently read 2º warmer than other Shearwater models, Oceanic, Suunto, Garmin, SEAC and Applewatch Ultra.

The reason that I mentioned it on this thread, is because there is a big difference when it comes to coral bleaching, between 85º water and 87º water. We observed some bleaching a couple of weeks ago in Coz, but not extensive. If water temps come down a bit pretty soon, most of the bleaching that we saw will reverse.

Caribbean reefs have been hammered by everything from Hurricanes, to SCTLD, to increased phosphate/nutrients(excessive algae growth), to pollutants and plastics, to Lionfish breaking the food chain, to overfishing, to Mangrove loss, to poor diver skills, to sunblock, to bleaching. The degradation has been occurring for years. It is finally painfully obvious, and the unusually warm water temps this year are getting people's attention. It just isn't solely a water temperature problem.

Hi scubadada,

I haven't heard anyone complaining about it either. Just making a comment based on observation. We've been a Shearwater dealer for many years, and haven't had any official comments from Shearwater about the accuracy of the Teric's thermometer.

I first noticed the discrepancy in the pool. Teric said that it was 80º, but the whole class was shivering. I compared my Teric with my DM's Suunto and her's said 78º. My business partner and I decided to compare Teric temperature readings to other computers in the swimming pool when we teach. Like I mentioned before, our entire staff uses Terics, and the Terics consistently read 2º warmer than other Shearwater models, Oceanic, Suunto, Garmin, SEAC and Applewatch Ultra.
Psychological effect? My current wrist computer is pretty spot on temperature wise but my console comuter reads 2 deg cooler.
I feel much warmer reading my wrist computer.
:poke:

Psychological effect? My current wrist computer is pretty spot on temperature wise but my console comuter reads 2 deg cooler.
I feel much warmer reading my wrist computer.
:poke:
My wrist computer, I have discovered, generally gives me the temperature of my wrist. :) YMMV

Hi scubadada,

The reason that I mentioned it on this thread, is because there is a big difference when it comes to coral bleaching, between 85º water and 87º water. We observed some bleaching a couple of weeks ago in Coz, but not extensive. If water temps come down a bit pretty soon, most of the bleaching that we saw will reverse.

Caribbean reefs have been hammered by everything from Hurricanes, to SCTLD, to increased phosphate/nutrients(excessive algae growth), to pollutants and plastics, to Lionfish breaking the food chain, to overfishing, to Mangrove loss, to poor diver skills, to sunblock, to bleaching. The degradation has been occurring for years. It is finally painfully obvious, and the unusually warm water temps this year are getting people's attention. It just isn't solely a water temperature problem.
The north winds have finally shifted. I'm on day 6 of diving. The water temps are consistently 84-87 F. We're having a strong rain storm at the moment. The coral bleaching is devastating. The reef is covered in red algae, green algae, and there's very little marine life. The purple fans are turning brown and the purple iridescent sponges have lost all their color. The vibrant colors of the reef have turned to a muted brown. Here's a couple of pictures of what I'm seeing.

I guess I knew it would happen someday because the rest of the Caribbean is dying off too. It came too soon for me.

Attachments

• PA190127.JPG
    PA190127.JPG
    174.7 KB · Views: 50
  • PA220197.JPG
    PA220197.JPG
    144 KB · Views: 51

When I was there 10 days ago I saw 88 on 2 dives on both of my computers, Sunnto Gekko and Shearwater Peregrine. Everybody else on the boat with a random smattering of brands all had 88 on those 2 dives (Columbia and Palancar), the following day 86-87 on Punta Sur and Cedral. My boat was filled with Cozumel regulars and none of us nor the divemaster had experienced 88 on a dive there before that day.
I believe you are right about multiple issues causing reef issues.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom