Norte coming to Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Update as of 10:30 am. Winds here are picking up with lots of whitecaps and our morning boats have not been able to go to the beach for the surface interval and will probably need to unload in one of the marinas I expect the port will be closed soon. This is the latest "norte" than I can recall in my 20 years here.

On the other hand, we have again looked at the east side and it is "like glass" over there.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

I'm so norte-paranoid I booked in June! I just hope late nortes don't correlate with early hurricanes :(

There was one in early May 10(?) years ago or so when I was on the island. The port closed for a day, and when we went to eat at Especias that night, it was in a cold NW wind that kept blowing things off our table. Weird.

WindGURU says 27kt NW winds on Saturday, the day I land. It says OK by Sunday, but we'll just have to see about that. At least we'll have a tailwind flying in from Houston.

Especias was in it's original location on the first floor of Adrian's mothers home 10 years ago - but I remember a crazy late season norte in 2004! So yeh, that was 9 years ago! WOW - time flies!

BTW - as of 1:00pm, the port is open and we were able to get both morning dives in. I am 10 blocks in right now, but winds seem calm - trees are not moving!

Oh no! I think I am bad luck :(
2 yrs ago November we got there the port was closed for water activities due to a norte. Last May wasn't a norte, but poured almost every day. We are flying in tomorrow. should be an exciting flight.
Packing a jacket.

All I can say it was very windy this morning and by the second dive we had 3 ft min seas. Did Punta Sur for our first dive this am. Water cloudy. Second dive was Dalila current really moving at points. Lots of seaweed etc floating with the current. Hard getting back into the boat with sea condition as rough as it was and got a little beaten up moving on the surface. But still a great day to be under water. 23 dives down - 6 to go if no Norte.

East side at Chen Rio, 1:30 PM today May 3rd, 2013. The photo shows the glass like water but I can't get this message to accept an inserted image! If you want to see it e mail me dave@aldora.com. IT really is the PERFECT norte for diving the east side.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Especias was in it's original location on the first floor of Adrian's mothers home 10 years ago - but I remember a crazy late season norte in 2004! So yeh, that was 9 years ago! WOW - time flies!

BTW - as of 1:00pm, the port is open and we were able to get both morning dives in. I am 10 blocks in right now, but winds seem calm - trees are not moving!
2004 sounds about right.

here is today's photo of the east side. Looks like I finally learned how to do it!

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

east side may3.jpg

Just got back from a swim and it was ROUGH - my plan was an ocean swim, but I opted for the pool swim! Even the poool had waves in it this afternoon and as I walked through the breezeway of the condos I literally thought I was going to be blown away! Heading out for a run now - hopefully I won't get blown away! Hahah!

I have never seen the east side flat like that in 14 years of visiting Cozumel. Thanks for posting the picture, Dave,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom