Non-trip report in Pompano Beach FL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not sure what is the solution, but to think that "The market weed out the bad ones" is not a realistic expectation in a place with such a high percentage of tourists.

People get certified, come to Florida and dive some, they don't know what is good or bad, they end up not diving anymore, and the next batch comes along. Soap, rinse, repeat.
It's a far better option than expecting law enforcement or the other powers that be to regulate the industry for us. The industry should do a better job regulating itself.

LOL, training, certification of crew, flag issues on the boat: these are all relatively minor issues compared to the simple fact that the SOP is to NOT to dive within the specified distance from a dive flag.

It also sets up conflicts with other boaters/divers when the offending commercial operator deliberately allows divers to string out over a 1/4 mile swath (without a flag) and then expects all other boats to stay out of this zone and/or operate like there actually IS a dive flag(s) being displayed properly in the "zone".

I've had a few incidents with charter captains who seem to have unrealistic expectations about the responsibility of other boaters. Hopefully it doesn't take a diver being beheaded before some of these operators change their SOP.

Pulling lots of flags is a pain, a lot of customers don't want to do it and it would require several DM's to pull flags or try to demand that 20 people all dive within very close proximity while in strong currents. None of these options are going to be popular/practical. Self regulation will not work for these reasons.

There are reasons why the FLORIDA (thanks, John) statue is not being followed. The question is if the failure to enforce the law is justified.

I am a Pompano Beach snowbird, staying in the area from mid January through March, and I am well aware of the simply horrific diving situation there. As some have noted, the best dive operator there (PDC) was forced to close by some underhanded activity, including participation from SFDH.

So what are the options?

Last winter, those options included ScubaTyme, but a few really bad experiences with them made me swear I would never use them again. Now I see they are part of SFDH and not even in the area.

I tried several times to give Aqua Life a shot, but I could not figure out the schedule on the website. I called several times to get an explanation, but each time I had to leave a message, and each time I got no call back. I don't have a clue how to tell where they are planning to go for a dive or how to even reach them.

Parrot Island was the very first charter I ever used in the area, and that was about 20 years ago. Try to figure out their schedule. I tried to use them last year, and it seemed like they only went on on occasions when Jerry was not busy with something else. They were never available on the days I wanted to dive.

The problems with Dixie Divers have been noted in this thread.

I can't go too far from Pompano, because my wife and I are there with one car, and I would be leaving her stranded.

Reading this thread has me filled with despair. I can walk less than 2 blocks to the beach and gaze out at great diving spots, but I have no reliable way to get to them. Each year when I head for Florida, my car is filled with all kinds of diving gear, including technical gear (doubles, deo bottles, etc.). I may leave all that home this year.

...It also sets up conflicts with other boaters/divers when the offending commercial operator deliberately allows divers to string out over a 1/4 mile swath (without a flag) and then expects all other boats to stay out of this zone and/or operate like there actually IS a dive flag(s) being displayed properly in the "zone"...

...Pulling lots of flags is a pain, a lot of customers don't want to do it and it would require several DM's to pull flags or try to demand that 20 people all dive within very close proximity while in strong currents. None of these options are going to be popular/practical. Self regulation will not work for these reasons...
I have done many, many dives in Boynton Beach, West Palm, and Jupiter since 2009. With the operators I use, there are some significant differences between Boynton Beach and West Palm/Jupiter. I generally use 2 operators in Boynton, 2 in West Palm, and 1 in Jupiter.

The two operators I use out of Boynton Beach do not put a guide with a flag in the water. I don't think the other two operators do either. Every diver or group is required to take a flag and dive on it. Each diver or group has a separate drop. The drops are not always terribly close together as one has the option of starting on the outside or the inside of the reef. Occasionally, I have seen special divers allowed to dive without a flag and surface on their SMB

The 3 operators I use in West Palm and Jupiter all put a guide with a flag in the water. In general, it is a group drop. Divers then either generally stay and surface with the guide or surface by themselves on their SMB. Due to current and activity; sightseeing, photography, lobstering and/or hunting, divers can end up relatively far apart. Again, special divers are sometimes allowed to drop and dive separately, surfacing on their SMB. I have never seen a separate diver or group use a flag in West Palm or Jupiter.

As opposed to poor @boulderjohn, at least I have numerous good operators to use. There are quite a few others with good reputations that I have as backup :)

I am a Pompano Beach snowbird, staying in the area from mid January through March, and I am well aware of the simply horrific diving situation there. As some have noted, the best dive operator there (PDC) was forced to close by some underhanded activity, including participation from SFDH.

So what are the options?

Last winter, those options included ScubaTyme, but a few really bad experiences with them made me swear I would never use them again. Now I see they are part of SFDH and not even in the area.

I tried several times to give Aqua Life a shot, but I could not figure out the schedule on the website. I called several times to get an explanation, but each time I had to leave a message, and each time I got no call back. I don't have a clue how to tell where they are planning to go for a dive or how to even reach them.

Parrot Island was the very first charter I ever used in the area, and that was about 20 years ago. Try to figure out their schedule. I tried to use them last year, and it seemed like they only went on on occasions when Jerry was not busy with something else. They were never available on the days I wanted to dive.

The problems with Dixie Divers have been noted in this thread.

I can't go too far from Pompano, because my wife and I are there with one car, and I would be leaving her stranded.

Reading this thread has me filled with despair. I can walk less than 2 blocks to the beach and gaze out at great diving spots, but I have no reliable way to get to them. Each year when I head for Florida, my car is filled with all kinds of diving gear, including technical gear (doubles, deo bottles, etc.). I may leave all that home this year.

I feel your pain. I can't think of another dive spot which such awesome dive sites but yet awful commercial charter options. Living in Bonita Springs, I used to hit Pompano Beach often because it had the best diving for the shortest drive. After one pretty lousy charter with Aqua Life, I've sworn off Pompano until better charter options become available. I'd rather drive further south (Key Largo) or north (Boynton/Palm Beach/Jupiter) and stay for the weekend than do day trips to Pompano like I frequently used to do.

LOL, training, certification of crew, flag issues on the boat: these are all relatively minor issues compared to the simple fact that the SOP is to NOT to dive within the specified distance from a dive flag.

It also sets up conflicts with other boaters/divers when the offending commercial operator deliberately allows divers to string out over a 1/4 mile swath (without a flag) and then expects all other boats to stay out of this zone and/or operate like there actually IS a dive flag(s) being displayed properly in the "zone".

I've had a few incidents with charter captains who seem to have unrealistic expectations about the responsibility of other boaters. Hopefully it doesn't take a diver being beheaded before some of these operators change their SOP.

Pulling lots of flags is a pain, a lot of customers don't want to do it and it would require several DM's to pull flags or try to demand that 20 people all dive within very close proximity while in strong currents. None of these options are going to be popular/practical. Self regulation will not work for these reasons.

There are reasons why the FLORIDA (thanks, John) statue is not being followed. The question is if the failure to enforce the law is justified.
A dive flag doesn't magically make you immune to getting hit by a boat. It just means 8 or 10 people will get hit on the surface instead of one. Most boaters don't know what it means. The other half don't care what it means. It's not an SOP because it's no safer than shooting an SMB by yourself and remaining vigilant on your ascent and at the surface. Both flags and SMBs are visual aids so the dive boat can find you. They offer little in the way of protection from other boats. At the end of the day, you as the diver are responsible for our own safety. The law has very little to do with that.

Reading this thread has me filled with despair.
Relax.
Bring your rec gear and dive with us. Pompano is kind of crappy, and people should stay away, regardless of @tekkydiver opinions... but you're coming anyways so let's go out again.
Seas weren't great when you came last time but things are never the same.

A dive flag doesn't magically make you immune to getting hit by a boat. It just means 8 or 10 people will get hit on the surface instead of one. Most boaters don't know what it means. The other half don't care what it means. It's not an SOP because it's no safer than shooting an SMB by yourself and remaining vigilant on your ascent and at the surface. Both flags and SMBs are visual aids so the dive boat can find you. They offer little in the way of protection from other boats. At the end of the day, you as the diver are responsible for our own safety. The law has very little to do with that.
It is inappropriate to equate a diver pulling a (more less continuously) visible flag versus diving with none and popping up wherever with an SMB.

If a diver (or group) pulls a flag, then a good operator knows exactly where they are on a continuous basis. Should a medical or other emergency develop, then the boat should be able to provide support quickly. If there is no surface indication of a diver who drifts and/or swims for 40 minutes, it is much more difficult to "know" where the diver actually is.

It is also often better to pull a flag continuously from the perspective of interactions with other boats.

If the diver does continuous pull a "flag" the dive operator may be able to effectively keep other boats away from the submerged or ascending divers. If they ain't got no float, then you don't have that protection and in an emergency, there may not be enough time to deploy an smb before ascending.

There is no doubt that diving is dangerous and there is no completely safe option, but it is incorrect to say that pulling a flag has no safety benefit. I've done hundreds of dives without a flag in that area, so I know how nice it is to not have a flag, but in general, I will at least pull a float that I trust the boat will more or less follow and protect when drift diving. Diving wrecks or fixed locations, not so much.

The utilization of an SOP that is inconsistent with the law is primarily for profit and convenience.

Relax.
Bring your rec gear and dive with us. Pompano is kind of crappy, and people should stay away, regardless of @tekkydiver opinions... but you're coming anyways so let's go out again.
Seas weren't great when you came last time but things are never the same.
I certainly will, but you are only available on weekends.

The Black Pearl just picked up a bunch of tourists at Sands Harbour as we were going out.
I figure they are going to the Hillsboro lighthouse .
Of course to me this is an indication that they are not a Dive Charter outfit, they are a charter outfit that goes out for money. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

PXL_20220813_133042201.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom