Non-trip report in Pompano Beach FL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is a boating license that is supposed to be required IIRC for those in their 30s now. I wonder if they actually enforce it.

Pay attention to the thread ... there are no good boats in Pompano, people should stay away :)
I beg to differ. In Pompano and parts south, the reef is much nicer, the viz is always better and the currents are mild.

I have posted this several times. I went diving on Delray Ledges on Aug 3., 2013. We went down in beautiful weather and came up in a violent summer squall, zero visibility, horizontal rain. A center console fishing boat came racing over the reef to make weigh in for a fishing tournament and ran right over the flag I was holding in my hand. Fortunately, I made an emergency descent and was barely clipped on one foot. I got sutured up and was OK. There was an extensive FWC investigation, I was interviewed in the ER and again at home the next day. The boat was cited for unsafe speed, no lookout, and reckless boating. I wrote to the FWC and asked what it would have been had they killed me. I never got a response. Dive flags...
I agree, in times of inclement weather it is almost impossible at times to see a flag. Larger flags on hight staffs should be made mandatory. Most tournament boats when facing a weigh in deadline will run in deeper water to avoid divers and the occasional kayaks. I assume you went to court in the matter.... Can you tell us the name of the boat or the outcome of the proceedings?
When we are diving and the weather goes south, our boat is close enough to the divers to prevent such an incident. We call our divers up and get them out of the way of any potential harm. Dive ops.... well you take your chances.

No... not recommending more recreational boat ownership. Owning and operating a personal boat requires a much higher level of competence than required by law and displayed by many recreational boaters. What is required is better oversight on commercial dive operations. Perhaps local marine law enforcement and/or the Coast Guard could be more involved.
Just what we want. More law enforcement poking and prodding in to our daily activities to make sure we're being safe.

There are good dive operations out there and there are not so good operations. Let the market weed out the bad ones on it's own. Share both positive and negative information openly - don't hide operator names. Tip the crew when they are good! They work for dirt. The good ones will stick around if they're getting paid a living wage - look back at all the good captains, mates, and guides you know. They've probably been in the industry for several years if not decades....they wouldn't stick around if they weren't making money. $10 minimum per tank for a good crew. MINIMUM. More for an exceptional crew.

I agree, in times of inclement weather it is almost impossible at times to see a flag. Larger flags on hight staffs should be made mandatory. Most tournament boats when facing a weigh in deadline will run in deeper water to avoid divers and the occasional kayaks. I assume you went to court in the matter.... Can you tell us the name of the boat or the outcome of the proceedings?
When we are diving and the weather goes south, our boat is close enough to the divers to prevent such an incident. We call our divers up and get them out of the way of any potential harm. Dive ops.... well you take your chances.
No, I did not go to court, what for? Perhaps many in our country would have. I was not badly hurt, recovered quickly, and was back in the water in 10 days. My medical expenses were covered by insurance. The boat was cited as stated. Everyone was very lucky that the outcome was not worse, that could have changed everything. Nine years ago now.

Just what we want. More law enforcement poking and prodding in to our daily activities to make sure we're being safe.

There are good dive operations out there and there are not so good operations. Let the market weed out the bad ones on it's own. Share both positive and negative information openly - don't hide operator names. Tip the crew when they are good! They work for dirt. The good ones will stick around if they're getting paid a living wage - look back at all the good captains, mates, and guides you know. They've probably been in the industry for several years if not decades....they wouldn't stick around if they weren't making money. $10 minimum per tank for a good crew. MINIMUM. More for an exceptional crew.
I'm not sure what is the solution, but to think that "The market weed out the bad ones" is not a realistic expectation in a place with such a high percentage of tourists.

People get certified, come to Florida and dive some, they don't know what is good or bad, they end up not diving anymore, and the next batch comes along. Soap, rinse, repeat.

No, I did not go to court, what for? Perhaps many in our country would have. I was not badly hurt, recovered quickly, and was back in the water in 10 days. My medical expenses were covered by insurance. The boat was cited as stated. Everyone was very lucky that the outcome was not worse, that could have changed everything. Nine years ago now.
What for?... Call in unprofessional curiousity. I asked because if the injured party doesn't show as a witness, the case is usually dismissed. Those charges he was cited for come with a mandatory notice to appear. Without a witness I'm wondering the outcome.

I'm not sure what is the solution, but to think that "The market weed out the bad ones" is not a realistic expectation in a place with such a high percentage of tourists.

People get certified, come to Florida and dive some, they don't know what is good or bad, they end up not diving anymore, and the next batch comes along. Soap, rinse, repeat.
Dive ops are unable to police themselves. They string out divers across the reef and lose contact in many cases. It isn't unusual for the vessel to be improperly flagged. It doesn't take a great deal of formal education to receive a Captain's license and it is easily renewed on and on. Perhaps required Continuing Education should be required for anyone owning, operating or working on a commercial dive op.

What for?... Call in unprofessional curiousity. I asked because if the injured party doesn't show as a witness, the case is usually dismissed. Those charges he was cited for come with a mandatory notice to appear. Without a witness I'm wondering the outcome.
I received the final report from the FWC with the citations listed. I was never issued a request for court appearance. That was the end of it for me. There was no further correspondence from the FWC.

Dive ops are unable to police themselves. They string out divers across the reef and lose contact in many cases. It isn't unusual for the vessel to be improperly flagged. It doesn't take a great deal of formal education to receive a Captain's license and it is easily renewed on and on. Perhaps required Continuing Education should be required for anyone owning, operating or working on a commercial dive op.
I agree 100% with your continuing education point for captains and crew. That goes for any commercial vessel, not just dive boats.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom