No subject, lets just get to know each other

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello, I'm Dr. Bill and I'm a dive-a-holic (not to mention a male but there are others who preceeded me so I'm taking their lead).

I am a marine biologist (kelp forest ecology), underwater videographer and writer. I write a weekly newspaper column called "Dive Dry with Dr. Bill" out here on Catalina Island where I've lived and dived for most of the last 35 years. I also produce a local cable TV show with the same name featuring underwater videos primarily from the Channel Islands and Baja.

I first sucked air from a SCUBA tank in the winter of 1961-1962 in Chicago and dove freshwater on SCUBA without certification and hard hat for the first 7 years. Attended Harvard where I majored in applied math and biology with a focus on marine. A course by E. O. Wilson got me interested in island biogeography so I moved to Catalina following graduation in 1969 to teach marine biology (on SCUBA) at a small prep school.

Taught at the school until it closed in 1979. Was fortunate enough to become friends with Jean-Michel Cousteau during that period by serving as a consultant on his Project Ocean Search programs. Also was a consultant on part of the Cousteau's Rediscovery of the World series back in 1985-1986.

Returned to grad school to get my PhD in marine ecology at UCSB (where I had record albums... remember them... older than my classmates). My dissertation is guaranteed to put anyone to sleep at 700+ pages (it requires its own library shelf). My research utilized satellite remote sensing and GIS to analyze the parameters associated with kelp bed persistence around (where else) Catalina!

Currently focused on an educational video series on kelp forest ecology for regional and educational cable TV markets. Spend most of my time these days diving (~250/year) and editing video.

Personal life? With all that diving and editing, I don't have time for one until I meet my ultimate dive buddy who can partner with me in these endeavors. Most women I meet prefer a longer surface interval than I give them. Enjoy international dive travel on a backpacker's budget (I'm a marine biologist, remember... I don't have, or want, a "real" job!).

This is becoming as long as my dissertation... zzzz. Anyone out there interested in diving Catalina is welcome to contact me for info or a possible dive buddy. I don't bite... except on full moons.

Dr. Bill Bushing

Hi, my name is Diana and I got my OW certification and started diving in May 2002. I have about 70 dives now and am AOW. Had to slow down diving this past summer because of middle ear troubles :(
Hubby dives- he's been doing it for about 10 years now so I can always find a buddy. We dive locally (MD quarries, MD/DE coast), been to Great Lakes and St Lawrence 2 times (awesome!!!), Cozumel, Bahamas, and Florida.
I am fisheries biologist with the US Environmental Protection Agency so I am doing this to see the "critturs". I just love sea turtles.
Thanks for this thread.
Diana

Thank you all for responding to this thread. I thought it would be a great idea after the site went down. Now we aren't just screen names anymore we are people. I'm amazed at how many of us have so much in common and how diving is our "safe place" if you will. Thank you all again for sharing. Let's keep it going. :)

Hey Everybody!! I have met one or two of you at the OFWF Meet back in July... That was the start of our holidays, and we had a blast.

Oh, we being:

Myself - Laura - aka Groundhog 283
My Hubby - Kent - aka Groundhog 246
My Sons - Christopher (aged 15) and Joshua (aged 12). Chris has his o/w, Joshua is impatiently waiting to start his.
No Dogs - we are out of town too often and do not want to have to haul one around with us everywhere.
One Spoiled Cat - who can be left home on weekends. She keeps an eye on our aquariums while we're gone :wacko:

What else, I have been diving for just over a year, have my advanced and somewhere around 55 dives. Hubby has posted a bit on this board, which I find rather amusing. He is one of the few men I know that will fully agree that most men are pigs.:eek:ut:

Next!!!!

Ok,

My name kinda says it all. I work for one of the largest Computer Mfg's and provide engineering support for technical escalations for all of N and S America. If it's not working and no one else can fix it then it comes to our group.

I grew up in Texas but have been around the world a couple of times now. I spent 6 yrs in the Army and I'm a gulf vet. I've been to Europe, Asia and the middle east.

I'm 37 and have been diving now for 2 yrs. I'm PADI AOW, EFR, DEEP, Nitrox and rescue. I'm planning to get my PADI DM starting next season. Got started after taking a try it dive in Mexico. I make approx 30-40 dives a year mostly freshwater lakes and mudholes.

I'm on my second marrage (non-diver). She doesn't like to admit that we're married (I have the papers to prove it and she hasn't filed for divorce yet). I have 3 kids age 18, 16 and 3. I have 3 stepkids ages 17, 16 and 12. Outside or work and diving I don't have much of a life. When I do get out I like to go fourwheeling in my truck. Next year I plan on having a mid life thing and buy another sport bike to replace the vet I crashed last year.

Hi, I'm Andy aka The Goose... don't ask, long story... currently living in the Birmingham area... I've been diving for four years and a Dive-Con with SSI.
This year has been a bit "dry" for me...new baby... but anyway my diving should pick back up... Anyway, my wife dives but not as of late and she has become somewhat a "fair-water" diver, ala Grand Cayman...
I would really like to hook up with a new buddy to do some dives either in the Gulf or here locally...

Goose,

I'm in Atlanta and would love to dive anywhere around here. Even if it is the local quarries. Gotta keep the gills wet, you know! I go to Florida every now and then as well, and know the area. PM me if you want to do a day trip or so.

OK, I just had to join in.

35 years old.
No kids (no wonder i have time to SCUBA)

Started diving in 1999 and have been in love with it since.

I spend most of my time diving the great lakes, and inland bodies of water in Michigan. I am soon to take my first ever warm water trip. I'm knid of nervous about it as many people tell me I'll soon loose interest in the cold nothern waters of the great lakes. Thanks hard to believe!

Interested in meeting anyone who dives in the area and can swap stories.

cobaltbabe once bubbled...
N/S

N/S means No subject. Sorry folks I put something in and then took it out and then put it in. That darn little devil and angel on my shoulder. Wish they would stop fighting. LOL

Back
Top Bottom