No Market For Tech?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can't post just "Yup", so I'm expanding it to meet the technical rules of this forum engine. I remembered the post, not who had made it.

I can't post just "Yup", so I'm expanding it to meet the technical rules of this forum engine. I remembered the post, not who had made it.

It's "yep", not "yup".

yep - slang of yes (Merriam Webster online)

Thank you for highlighting a typo, which I find very common here as the salt air corrodes the key contacts on most keyboards. Makes smooth typing impossible.
A random typo put an apostrophe between the "r" and the "s" in "yours," exactly where the marginally literate would put it? That sounds a little less than candid to me.

It's "yep", not "yup"

But if you recall I'm English, and to us "yup" is just as acceptable slang as is "yep". Probably more so, in fact.

The only dictionary I regard as authoritative for the English language is the Oxford English Dictionary. If I want to know more about American usage there is an excellent Oxford book on the subject, though I don't have it here with me.

Do you have any idea why Americans persist in calling what they speak and write as English", when at any one time it has substantial differences from that language? Why not just "American"?

It's "yep", not "yup".

yep - slang of yes (Merriam Webster online)
I think it all depends which Florida swamp you park your double-wide in. I hear they have different dialects down there:eyebrow:

peterbj7:
Do you have any idea why Americans persist in calling what they speak and write as English"
I hear they have different dialects down there:eyebrow:
That is the answer, of course, to the American vs. English question. Americans speak and write a dialect of English. Just as Singaporeans, Canadians, and Australians do. Despite the protestations of the occasional pedantic Englishman trying to carve out a little niche of superiority, the dialects are largely the same, and we can all understand each other quite well. When a Mandarin speaker encounters a Cantonese speaker they have a great deal of difficulty communicating, which is why the two dialects have different names.

Y'all come back now, ya hear? Momma gonna put sum possum in the kettle.

Where is W. F. Buckley when we need him?

New opinion of the market for tech.

I just completed my classroom and pool session for IANTD Adv. Nitrox and Deep Diver.

First Technical diving is not a dive trip - it is an expedition.

Once certified to dive using deco- and trained on doubles, knowing how to complete all the calculations or verify that the calculations you'll be diving are correct. It is simple to book a trip to a sunken ship. Once at the meeting just fill in the waivers, prove your experience (you didn't think you could just come and do this did you?), fill in the medical questions review all the safety procedures and diving guidelines ad nauseam, then verify or compile those calculations, gear match, test gases, do a check-out dive, prepare for the next day. Make sure all your gear is on the boat, recheck those gases, listen to the dive briefing, confer with your "dive buddy" and finally we get to dive - see you back here in 115+ minutes for a 40 minute dive to 140fsw.

Do we really think people want to do this? I know I do - I'll tell you how it goes. I've located a ship 5 hrs from here at 140 fsw (possibly, nobody yet knows the deepest depth) I'll be diving it in December.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom