No insurance to be had for nonprofit non training Club

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FYI…… Someone suggested calling DAN and asking about club liability. Just by conincidence, I did just that recently.

My take away from my call to DAN is, if a club does not do any kind of teaching or own a boat (or something like that), then the club’ liability is small/limited. The earlier mention of club compressor to supply air, would likely be another hi-liability source.

IMO: Of coarse, anyone can be sued, but AT A MINIMUM there is good and reasonable reasons for any club (especially officers) NOT to do or document/write/say the club provides anything of the this type that is liability risky.

DAN does sell insurance if you’re interested.

anyone can be sued, but there is good and reasonable reasons for any club (especially officers) NOT to do or document/write/say the club provides anything of the this type that is liability risky.

But the officers and club will have to prove they aren't liable and they will have to hire lawyers which will cost lots of money they have to pay. It is always best to have a liability insurance to defray the costs of legal defense, any litigation costs, etc. Providing any kind of service, including compressor to fill tanks for members, is something that increases potential litigation and legal costs. Saving money on air fills for a club does NOT help when there is litigation with the associated costs. I'd leave all of these services to a dive shop that has insurance to take care of such services.

FYI…… Someone suggested calling DAN and asking about club liability. Just by conincidence, I did just that recently.

My take away from my call to DAN is, if a club does not do any kind of teaching or own a boat (or something like that), then the club’ liability is small/limited. The earlier mention of club compressor to supply air, would likely be another hi-liability source.

IMO: Of coarse, anyone can be sued, but there is good and reasonable reasons for any club (especially officers) NOT to do or document/write/say the club provides anything of the this type that is liability risky.

DAN does sell insurance if you’re interested.
That's for the US. Canadian law may require a different type of coverage that DAN does not offer for a club.

You might want to check on Lloyds of London. We (a public aquarium) had a hard time finding coverage for our divers in the field outside of the US. Lloyds was able to provide us with coverage that we could not find anywhere else.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom