No insurance to be had for nonprofit non training Club

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick204

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
What the hell is going on in the SCUBA insurance industry in Canada? I‘m on the board of a non profit underwater council (Club) in Manitoba, and we can not get anyone to even quote on general liability insurance. We don’t provide any scuba training at all, we rent city pool time, hold a few weekend BBQs in the summer and a year end windup with diving by certified divers at each. We have a designated dive area at one of the local lakes, which has buoys to keep the boats out and other safety feature. We have been scouring the insurance agencies, but none of them can get a response from their underwriters. It seems that having non-profit and SCUBA in the same sentence causes them to run for the hills.
Looking for help!

What the hell is going on in the SCUBA insurance industry in Canada? I‘m on the board of a non profit underwater council (Club) in Manitoba, and we can not get anyone to even quote on general liability insurance. We don’t provide any scuba training at all, we rent city pool time, hold a few weekend BBQs in the summer and a year end windup with diving by certified divers at each. We have a designated dive area at one of the local lakes, which has buoys to keep the boats out and other safety feature. We have been scouring the insurance agencies, but none of them can get a response from their underwriters. It seems that having non-profit and SCUBA in the same sentence causes them to run for the hills.
Looking for help!
No profit, no assets, why do you need insurance?

Can the Manitoba Underwater Council help. In Ontario my club gets insurance through the Ontario Underwater Council.

Can the Manitoba Underwater Council help. In Ontario my club gets insurance through the Ontario Underwater Council.
It’s actually the Manitoba Underwater Council I’m referring to. We’ve made contact with OUC to discuss their insurance, but we don’t have the same insurance opportunities in Manitoba.

No profit, no assets, why do you need insurance?
You definitely need a good insurance.
My local no-profit club, Parmasub, went bankrupt after one participant to an event had a stupid accident causing the loss of a finger.
The damage was evaluated about 250.000 euros, which exceeded the insurance limit.
So all the assets of the club were confiscated.
But even this was not enough, and the court asked for the missing money to the president of the club.
This happened in Italy, not in US.
No-profit does not means no-responsibility!
Actually it means unlimited responsibility.

Have you given DAN a call? Don’t know if they can cover you, but worth a shot anyway

You definitely need a good insurance.
My local no-profit club, Parmasub, went bankrupt after one participant to an event had a stupid accident causing the loss of a finger.
The damage was evaluated about 250.000 euros, which exceeded the insurance limit.
So all the assets of the club were confiscated.
But even this was not enough, and the court asked for the missing money to the president of the club.
This happened in Italy, not in US.
No-profit does not means no-responsibility!
Actually it means unlimited responsibility.
They have no assets, they have good medical for everyone, if someone get injured they just cease to exist.

Back
Top Bottom