No Diving Experience Rental or Purchase

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good point gizmo

Also the air-integrated computer that comes with the package retails for almost $1,000. That's overkill and unnecessary for anyone. You can get a basic computer that will meet all of your needs for under $300.

It just sucks when people beat up store gear and then when they buy mask/snorkel/fins, show up with them, use them, and then careful rinse everything and place it back into the bags and mask case that it all came in. We look at them and think wow, it was just last week they were throwing our gear around without a care.

Hmmm... Is that a student issue or an Instructor issue?

From the books, through the videos and in class it was drilled in, rinse, rinse and rinse some more. Treat the equipment with respect.

At least that was the way I was trained.

Hmmm... Is that a student issue or an Instructor issue?

From the books, through the videos and in class it was drilled in, rinse, rinse and rinse some more. Treat the equipment with respect.

At least that was the way I was trained.

Student issue. Thanks for asking.

They always rinse our gear. Some screw off and forget about dust caps and all the other little intricacies. Any other instructor will tell you the same about students being hard on gear.

I would use the rental gear first before buying. The gear was included in the cost of the course for me. If the course allows to use for free, try it out, it will only reaffirm what you thought you wanted or open your mind to what you don't.

You should also try on the bcd first before buying it to get the right size and fit. Some bcd's I'm a XS or XXS of the same brand but different style. Some wetsuits I'm a 6 which is confusing if I'm an XXS on that companies BCD. There is a SP reg 2nd stage that is just huge but you wouldn't really know it from an online picture. I think it is a G250ish? Other people might not have a problem with that. You don't know until you have tried it out.

another thing to consider when you are doing your research is the cost to service the gear. There is a thread around here that is talking about some people pay $200 to service and replace parts. That could be 4 rentals. How often are you going to be diving? These costs aren't exactly hidden, but they aren't exactly announced when you are looking to buy gear.

There are both pros & cons for both sides of the argument. Owning your own gear: Pro You know where everything is and how it works. Con If you find you don't like it, too bad you're stuck with it. Renting: Pro You have the opportunity to try systems/brands.* Con It can get expensive depending on how much diving you do. Potentially unsafe using unfamiliar gear.

* You might have to rent gear at different shops to get a good idea of what's available

There are both pros & cons for both sides of the argument. Owning your own gear: Pro You know where everything is and how it works. Con If you find you don't like it, too bad you're stuck with it.
We have a guarranty that if you don't like it, we will get you into gear that you do like!

I looked a the gear package you are interested in. I know for a fact you are spending more than you would if you shopped better and bought the units individually. As for the Luna.. I have a Sol, but I use it for trimix, and I like the big display. That might not be the best option for the computer. The pool chlorine is going to bleach out the fabrics and attack the chrome and lead. I would use their rental gear. There is also the possibility you may come up with a medical issue with diving, if that happens and you ether have to layoff or drop out; all that gear sitting around, paid for and not used.

I like DS, I bought my Sol from them. waiting and shopping can get you some special pricing.

My only problem with that set is the subgear regulator. Spend a little bit more get all ScubaPro and get in the parts for life program.

I agree with the "Rent while doing the class, and maybe rent different styles until you find what you like"

$1700 for beginner gear? That's quite a bit for never having tried on or used anything before.
You can find MUCH better deals than this for the same type of things.

Hello Everyone, I have no proper diving experience but getting ready to attend a class, instead of renting I decided to just purchase my gears, I do alot of research reading and the very first thing I read about before entering a sport are the accidents/fatality the reason being is it makes me respect the sport and push me to be responsible.

I am looking into purchasing this gear from Dolphin Scuba, my goal is to have a complete gear that I can take to the class with me, some might tell me why not try to rent first before purchasing, I did some free diving when I was a kid at our local rivers and just loved it, so I know this is one sport I would like to progress and enjoy for many safe years.

Scubapro Cayman Luna SCUBA Mens Package | Dolphin Scuba Center

I would like to get your feedback, regarding this scuba package.

Thank you.

To make my point about waiting and shopping... This is scubapros top of the line and my favorite.

Scubapro MK25/S600 Regulator, DIN | LeisurePro

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom