No Ditch-able weights with BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not sure who recommended this or what the context was, but taking a deep breath and ascending is a recipe for a lung over-expansion injury and should be avoided at all cost.

You don't use your lungs for buoyancy control. At no time is anyone saying to hold your breath. Breathe in and the ascent starts, breathe out the ascent continues and you adjust the BC bubble.

At what depth is neutral in your scenario?

And how much buoyancy does your wetsuit loose at depth.

Bob

Not sure who recommended this or what the context was, but taking a deep breath and ascending is a recipe for a lung over-expansion injury and should be avoided at all cost.

Well, I'm not taking a deep breath and holding it! I'm just saying that is all it takes to move me up in the water column. If your buoyancy is neutral, this should happen. If I let the air out of my lungs, I start to move down in the water column. I mean, this is just basic buoyancy control, is it not?

Being neutral, if I want to ascend, I can either just use my fins or I can breath a little deeper AND use my fins (while continuing to breath). I could even add a little air into my BC if I wanted to and then dump it a little at a time as I come up. Divers choice as long as you understand what your doing and what your situation is and maintain control, right?

You don't use your lungs for buoyancy control. At no time is anyone saying to hold your breath. Breathe in and the ascent starts, breathe out the ascent continues and you adjust the BC bubble.
Bob

This! :thumb2:

(although, you do use your lungs for buoyancy control to some extent, right? You just breath with a little more air in your lungs or a little less as needed. At least, this is what I have been taught and the method I use. Is there another way that I'm missing??)

This! :thumb2:

(although, you do use your lungs for buoyancy control to some extent, right? You just breath with a little more air in your lungs or a little less as needed. At least, this is what I have been taught and the method I use. Is there another way that I'm missing??)

You asked is there another way. The answer is yes.

Well, I'm not taking a deep breath and holding it! I'm just saying that is all it takes to move me up in the water column. If your buoyancy is neutral, this should happen. If I let the air out of my lungs, I start to move down in the water column. I mean, this is just basic buoyancy control, is it not?

Being neutral, if I want to ascend, I can either just use my fins or I can breath a little deeper AND use my fins (while continuing to breath). I could even add a little air into my BC if I wanted to and then dump it a little at a time as I come up. Divers choice as long as you understand what your doing and what your situation is and maintain control, right?
Understood- thanks for clarifying.

You don't use your lungs for buoyancy control
I do. I have three BCs that I'm using on every dive: my wing, my suit and my lungs. And they are used for different aspects of buoyancy control.

My wing inflator and dump valve are used to handle the weight of my gas and my wing is vented accordingly as I breathe down my tank, my suit inflator and vent valve are used to handle the compression of the air in my undergarments as I descend, or the expansion of it as I ascend, and my lungs are used for those minute adjustments needed to start a descent or an ascent, or to move a few cm up or down in the water column.

I do. I have three BCs that I'm using on every dive: my wing, my suit and my lungs. And they are used for different aspects of buoyancy control.

That should have had a question mark after the sentence, it's not there and I'm still looking for it.

Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom