No Ditch-able weights with BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Daebado

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So, I've had my BP/W setup for a couple of years now and really like it. I was on the fence for a while at first and had to get used to it but having done so, I wouldn't go back to a standard BC.

The question I have concerns weighting. I am primarily a warm water diver and with the steel plate and STA, I find that I don't need any extra weight if I'm diving a swimsuit and rash guard. In a 3m wetsuit, I am usually fine with a couple lbs in each tank band pocket (one on either side of the tank). This configuration works great for me as I am more trim than I have ever been and I use less air since (I assume) I have less drag than I had with a BC.

So, it bothers me a little that I have no weights to ditch in an emergency. So far, it hasn't bothered me enough to change anything and my LDS tells me (unofficially) that ditch-able weights are overrated for experienced divers. Indeed, in 6 years of diving I have never come close to needing to ditch weights but I still hear that tiny voice in the back of my head... "what if I were to need to?"

I'm sure I could go with an aluminum plate to allow for 'other' weights but there doesn't seem to be that much room to place weight pockets on the belt. I could manage it but it would be crowded. I suppose a weight belt could be an option.

What are your opinions on this?

What are you thinking you'd be ditching weights for? If you're neutrally buoyant you should be able to swim up just fine without ditching anything.

So, I've had my BP/W setup for a couple of years now and really like it. I was on the fence for a while at first and had to get used to it but having done so, I wouldn't go back to a standard BC.

The question I have concerns weighting. I am primarily a warm water diver and with the steel plate and STA, I find that I don't need any extra weight if I'm diving a swimsuit and rash guard. In a 3m wetsuit, I am usually fine with a couple lbs in each tank band pocket (one on either side of the tank). This configuration works great for me as I am more trim than I have ever been and I use less air since (I assume) I have less drag than I had with a BC.

So, it bothers me a little that I have no weights to ditch in an emergency. So far, it hasn't bothered me enough to change anything and my LDS tells me (unofficially) that ditch-able weights are overrated for experienced divers. Indeed, in 6 years of diving I have never come close to needing to ditch weights but I still hear that tiny voice in the back of my head... "what if I were to need to?"

I'm sure I could go with an aluminum plate to allow for 'other' weights but there doesn't seem to be that much room to place weight pockets on the belt. I could manage it but it would be crowded. I suppose a weight belt could be an option.

What are your opinions on this?
If you can't swim up against a full tank and your backplate with an empty wing, you need to switch to aluminum and use ditchable weight.

If you CAN swim against it, then there's no need for ditchable weight.

Agreed with jlcnuke's and pfcaj's comments. You can remove the weight pouches on the tank bands then use a weight belt. Or, you can carry a dsmb or lift bag in the storage pouch, assuming you have one on the plate, for additional lift if needed.

As long as you can comfortably swim it to the surface, you probably don't have a safety issue. For the type of diving you're describing (warm water, rec, little to no exposure protection; and it's the type of diving I do), odds are any weight ditching you would be doing would be at the surface to stay afloat. That would be rare and at the surface you would probably have other options.

I would be more concerned about functionality and weighting options. I prefer to dive in just a skin whenever possible. While the overall weight of the steel plate might be ok, I prefer not to have all my weight on my back. I'm more comfortable if I can move some of the weight at my waist and slightly to the front. While we're not talking about a lot of weight overall, it's positioning can affect my diving comfort. If your trim works out with just the plate, you win. :) Plus if I find myself in a situation diving steel tanks, I would be over weighted without much recourse. For these reasons (as well as packing for travel) I prefer aluminum or in my current situation a fabric covered polymer plate. All IMHO, YMMV.

Thanks! All good info. I guess the situation that made me really think about it is a couple articles I've read where people have been diving along a wall (I do a lot of wall diving) and got caught in a hard down-current and even after ditching weights, it was all they could do to swim out. Likelihood is low, I know but still makes you think.

Thanks! All good info. I guess the situation that made me really think about it is a couple articles I've read where people have been diving along a wall (I do a lot of wall diving) and got caught in a hard down-current and even after ditching weights, it was all they could do to swim out. Likelihood is low, I know but still makes you think.

I understand. I like walls, too.:) There's always stories. I don't discount them. They do happen and if they happen to you, I'm sure you would be adamant to warn others, but...there is always the chance somebody's going the wrong way on the freeway. Just factor it in to your risk assessment as best you can and dive on. You can't avoid them all or you won't leave the house or in the case of diving you'll carry so much stuff you'll just sink to the bottom making the current point moot. Dive smart and have fun. :)

Ditchable weights or not has been beaten up, down, sideways and again, and to a messy pulp before. Executive version: It's a matter of personal preference. I happen to prefer some ditchable weight.

Do a search and get enlightened. Or get fed up, your choice.

The example of needing ditchable weights to escape a down current seems like a particularly dangerous situation. The diver ditching weights would risk an uncontrollable assent once out of the down current.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom