NJ or NC in May?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I posted this in another forum with not much response. Hopefully this is the right place now.

I have a four day weekend in May and I'm looking to drive from Michigan to either NJ or NC for some wreck diving. I haven't been diving in either state and could use some advice. What's the diving like this early in the season? Are the wrecks worth a 11-15 hour drive? Which dive ops don't have cattle cars and treat their customers well?

My biggest debate between the two states is that I want to do the Papoose in NC to dive with the Sand Tiger sharks. Are there any shark dives like that in NJ?

Well, I may be a BIT biased, but I'd say that you should come join us in NJ aboard the Gypsy Blood!

What dates are you looking at? We have our complete calendar posted on our website (see link in my signature) You can book a spot on one of our open boats, or if there's a shop charter one of the dates you can book directly with the shop.

May is tough in NC or NJ (as is the whole year, really) as you can never predict the weather and a blow out is always possible. I hear that NC blows out more often than we do in NJ, but have no personal experience.

The other thing to keep in mind is that in NJ, the boats are "taxis" and not dive operations so that means you need to bring everything. No weights, no tanks, no fills.

Shoot me a PM or e-mail if you have any questions or want some further info.

Thanks for the info. They're doing a Crew Dive Day the weekend I wanted to head out there. Maybe I can switch it to the last weekend of the month.

I'm curious why they advertise as a "Full service" dive charter operation if they don't supply tanks, weights, or air fills. What other service is there other than transportation? :confused:

It's the standard on the east coast. Full service is the transportation. You provide the rest. The charters require redundant air source. Lots of locals have their own tanks, doubles and ponies included. I've been to NJ a few times and scheduled dives with only one trip not being blown out. I've been to NC once and went out on every planned dive. It's hit or miss up there.

motorcitydiver:
I'm curious why they advertise as a "Full service" dive charter operation if they don't supply tanks, weights, or air fills. What other service is there other than transportation? :confused:
"Full Service" means that they'll take you there AND bring you back. :D

Seriously though, I think it means this as described on the "about us" web page:
Some of our Personalized Services:
Custom Dive Charters
Cressi Aquapro BCD and Regulator rentals available
PADI certified training and Dive Tours
All Dive Trips include Lunch and Refreshments
Special Rates for Dive Clubs and Dive Shops

I've never dove from her but now that they've moved further north to Brielle, I'm givin' her a go.

we bring some back anyway, but not all :wink:

I'm going to try to get out on her as well.

I only did two trips off Jersey last year. On the 4th of July we did the Pinta and the Tug. In September we did the Stolt and the viz was incredible. With all the tropicals, I thought I was in Cancun again. I count myself very lucky that the Stolt was blown out. Nearly every trip out there last year was blown out.

Both of these trips were off the Stingray, http://www.stingraydivecharters.com and is a great operation. My goal is to hit a couple of different charters this year to different wrecks....

The air and water both will be a whole lot warmer in NC. NJ diving is great but I'd go with NC given your time frame and situation. Save NJ for a couple of months later. In any event, there's lots of ops here which can support you; see www.njscuba.net to check out shops and boats. If you book through a shop they can provide any rental stuff you might need.

Spratman:
I'm going to try to get out on her as well.

I only did two trips off Jersey last year. On the 4th of July we did the Pinta and the Tug. In September we did the Stolt and the viz was incredible. With all the tropicals, I thought I was in Cancun again. I count myself very lucky that the Stolt was blown out. Nearly every trip out there last year was blown out.

Both of these trips were off the Stingray, http://www.stingraydivecharters.com and is a great operation. My goal is to hit a couple of different charters this year to different wrecks....
I did the stolt once last year and hung on the entire time. what a ripping current!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom