Trip Report Morehead City, NC - July 17-20

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wants2divemore

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I spent July 17-20 diving in Morehead City, NC with Olympus Dive Center. A great trip and great dive operator. Highly recommended.

BOAT: Olympus
  • 25 passenger, majority of seating area is covered
  • 65’ aluminum hull
  • Marine head
  • Separate enclosed “lounge” area with benches, tables, and AC
  • Sundeck near bow which holds 8
  • Fresh water and pineapple at surface intervals, cooler for storing lunch/snack
  • AED, emergency oxygen, and two 2nd stage regs hanging off back 15’ deep when diving in case someone needs air so they can still do safety stop

SAFETY BRIEFING: Very thorough

All of the sites were wrecks. At each wreck, the DM would descend and lay out a 250’ wreck line from where the descent/ascent line was secured to the wreck. This was useful as some of the wrecks had very little, if any, superstructure left in parts and were nothing more than a debris field.

DAY 1: Weather was rough, so we stayed closer to shore.
J J Franesconi Tug: 65’ depth, largely still intact, 60’ visibility
Indra: 65’ depth, bow and stern mostly intact but middle section essentially gone. Wreck is 328’ long, so stayed at bow area where we anchored.

DAY 2: Weather was better, so made it farther offshore.
2 dives on Caribesea: 90’ depth, 206’ long, middle section essentially gone. LOTS of sand tiger sharks

DAY 3: Weather rougher again, stayed closer to shore
Ario (aka Hutton): 70’ depth, 450’ long, middle section essentially gone.
Indra (again)

DAY 4: Weather rough again, stayed closer to shore
J J Franesconi Tug (again)
Suloide: Wreck of boat that hit the Aria (after it had already sunk). Wreck has been dynamited and drug so very little structure left. 60’ depth, 30’ visibility. Not much to see at the site

And for those interested in literary history, the shop is right next to the Cricket II, the fishing boat that inspired Peter Benchley to write Jaws.

Good report! I have a couple of questions thought. What kind of water temps were you experiencing? What kind of exposure gear were you wearing? How much advance notice did it take to get slots on the boat?
Thanks and best regards!
🐸

Water temps were 88-90F on the surface, 78-80F at the bottom of the shallower dives (60’). The Caribesea had a thermocline at about 50’, and was 72F at the bottom (90’). I wore a full 3mil suit, as did most others, but a few went in just skins.

My LDS booked the trip and a bunch of spots on the boat (I think about 14) but there were a few others along for a day or two. Not sure how early they booked but I do know one person said it was sold out a month prior. I believe another LDS has a bunch of spots booked with Olympus next week as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom