Nitrox Tank Labels?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OE2X

ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I have 4 PST tanks. They are all rated for nitrox. They have never been filled with anything less than Hyper air. I recently decided to take off the large nitrox stickers and PST stickers on all but one. This is done so that I can see corrosion issues, rinse them completely with fresh water etc...

I bring one with a nitrox sticker and one w/o to a LDS. I asked for EANx 32% in both. I was told that they couldn't fill the one without the sticker. I ask why? I'm told that they can't be certain that it is nitrox ready. It is still very evident that there had been a big nitrox sticker there recently do to the tank not tarnishing in that area. I point this out along with the VIP that has a very small nitrox label on it. Well now I have them on a technicallity that they can't get out of. I get the fill, but I also get a lesson handed to me about why I should have a BIG NITROX sticker on my tank. Their reasoning: this way all my buddies know that I'm breathing nitrox. I ask if that's all my buddies need to know? Do they need to know what percentage I'm using? What my MOD at 1.4 and 1.6 are? "Of course" they say. So I ask: does having a BIG NITROX sticker on my tank tell them that? "Well no" is the answer. The clerk says "it must be a PADI thing." Me - ????????????

The way I was taught was to go over this in your predive plan. You should know what EANx % your buddy is diving and what their MOD is. This is on top of the rest of the info that you go over before going under.

So please correct me if I'm wrong. Do I need a BIG NITROX sticker on my tanks as long as the VIP has it? Is it a PADI requirement? Do the other agencies require this as well? Half the time my tanks don't have anything higher than 21%, but it's always hyper air that I request. If I'm right and this shop is wrong it makes me think that I should never get any gas there again!

The shop gets to decide what their requirement for EAN labeling is. There is an unofficial "standard" that requires an EAN bumper sticker and a O2 clean VIP sticker, most agencies support it, none of them have any enforcement powers. This is an old fight, nobody can make you use the big stickers or the little ones but they don't have to fill your tanks, either.

Choose your shop and your battles wisely. :crafty:

We have the same problem over here. There is one shop that i use that does not require the big NITROX label. They are a great shop and very knowledgeable.

If the nitrox is partial pressure blended then proof of a O2 clean VIP sticker should be enough, at least in my thinking :wink:

I also had a problem with a shop that banked 36%. They originally told me that the tank had to initially be O2 cleaned and have a NITROX label. There is no reason to O2 clean a tank that is being filed with 36% banked gas. I went back there a few weeks after that and all they required was the stupid nitrox band.

It seems every shop you goto wants something different. The best bet is to have the nitrox label and a O2 clean VIP if your shop partial pressure blends and a regular VIP for banked or membrane style fills.

Sorry, just a quick question. Can you fill a tank what you have put 28% in all it's life, with 32%?

First, I must give the credit here to my boyfriend as I did not think this up myself. The Nitrox band sticker is really a tax to use Nitrox in your tank. A tax you ask? Look at it this way. Each year you are required to have your tank visually inspected. In order for the shop to do a proper vis they must remove the Nitrox band. If they do not, have the done a complete inspection of the tank??? Ok, now they have removed the Nitrox band. Can they replace it? No, it is now torn up, etc. So, now you must purchase a new sticker. There goes another $10. Hence the yearly TAX!

Ok, now someone will respond with how important it is to know what is in the tank. Well, you must have current vis, current hydro, and a current O2 clean sticker if you are using partial pressure mixing. After mixing you must PERSONNALLY verify the percentage of oxygen in YOUR tank and ensure it is clearly marked on the tank with the date filled, pressure, etc. You are responsible for your life and your equipment on all dives.

There are many shops that will fill tanks without the ugly, unnecessary, Nitrox stickers as long as the tank is current. Just stand firm that as long as the current vis, hydro, and O2 clean stickers are clearly identified on the tank, there should be no requirement for the Nitrox sticker.

Good luck,
-stacy

the sticker is mostly there to stop someone from picking up the tank and using it thinking there is air in - which has O2 toxicity risks

If someone steals my tank and breaths the wrong air at the wrong depth to where it becomes toxic, it is their fault. There should be a sticker with the current O2%, date filled, etc. that you should verify before breathing the tank. YOU are responsible for checking YOUR tank before YOU breath the air in it each dive.

sealkie:
the sticker is mostly there to stop someone from picking up the tank and using it thinking there is air in - which has O2 toxicity risks
That was one of the original rationales behind the bumper sticker and I suppose it holds true today. Countering that is the "if you take my tank you deserve what you get" argument and the tangental "why don't we bumper sticker deco bottles and trimix tanks" argument.

I think the shop just might be trying to prevent a liability issue.
I'm preparing to take a gas blending course this month.
This information is from the IANDT Gas Blender Course Page 21:
"As Gas Blenders, we are required by law to have each cylinder we prepare and release properly marked and dedicated."
Cylinder Labeling
Industy standards require that all Cylinders be correctly labeled
Primary Cylinder with less than 40%
1. (2) 1" Green Bands, W/ a 4" yellow band between
2. Labeled as Nitrox.
3. Content Tape Decal or Contents Decal.
4. VIP Decal.
" The Scuba Cylinder must be dedicated to Nitrox use and color coded!"
Hope this helps to answer your questions. If I missed something, I'm quite sure someone will let me know.
Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom