Next Sunday - Springs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Didnt know Silver River was so bad for traffic. I know the Rainbow River was a nice dive, i am thinking that we would like to try a few places to get a range of ideas, hence these options - something new for us to try. I want to repeat some of the dives we have done, but not for a while if possible!

Talking of repetition, we are going to Jupiter again only about 6 weeks after last time, but we hope to see the Lemons this time and dive the two sets of wrecks there, and also IF i can get the time on sarurday then i dont mind redoing the Venice dive (i want the teeth!), we shall see, i will ask my GF if she wants to drift that again - otherwise, any further info from anyone on the options listed???

Paradise should be fine for OW divers with some experience. It is much larger than I was led to believe. Obviously since you will be in a overhead environment it is your capacity to deal with problems that is most important. However, there are permanent lines within the whole cavern zone. Bring the brightest lights you have as well.

Instead of going to devils den, you may want to look at going to Ginnie (best spring in florida, but $27), or Troy Spring (70ft deep and large, $5 to get in, wreck in the spring run), or Royal Spring (30ft deep, free). Check out floridacaves.com for info on these 2 sites. I have some info and pics up at northfloridadiver.net as well.

Thanks for the info, does that mean that devils and blue grotto are both $27?

We are looking for an afternoon day trip - some of those are a bit far from Orlando for a quick trip, we are going to Ginnie for a weekend in feb, the others are also on the list!!

so - is anyone going for Sunday- or saturday- are we talking this weekend (10/11) I am a little confused.

I am contemplating a Vanice dive on saturday (1/10), if Dutchfin and/or other are up for it.

On sunday i want to go somewhere with my GF, i was wondering which of these two springs options was more viable for an OW cert diver. As much as i enjoyed the Rainbow River, i would prefer trying somewhere new (for us) such as the two options listed at the top of the page. IF others would like to come along, then feel free that afternoon (sun 1/11). Others are going that morning to Venice, quite a drive to get from there to either of the options i was considering.

I think i have had my questions answered with regard to the options mentioned, however if someone else would like to come along then just suggest away as to which option you might like. I still have to check if we can do Paradise and the drift on Silver River in one afternoon with that operation - busy day at work!!

Still not really sure which option to take, couldnt get thru to Paradise Springs folks, but from what i have read about it, i still have questions about the entrance to it. It sounds like if you arent on top of your game with kicks (frog of the like) that you can easily silt up the top part - concerned that this would cloud it out, or force silt into the main cavern. Not so sure we have our anti-silting kicks quite sorted yet, would there be great danger in that. Like i have said before i think we would be fine in the other two tourist traps, but not as familiar with reports on Paradise (yes i have searched!).

Are you going to VB on Sat?

What time?

dutchfin:
All 3 of the springs you have referenced can all be done with a single tank. Depending on your own individual likes will tell if you will want to make a 2nd dive. I'm planning on making Venice On Sat., maybe we can talk about doing the Rainbow River. (@4-5 hr drift). No need to do it commercially, just the $5 to get in the park.

It's a 2 1/2 hr drive for me, so probably no sooner than 8am. Not sure where that puts us with the tides,but I'll at least be going in to check it out after driving all the way down there. Dove Hudson Grotto yesterday, now if you want to talk about no vis.....................................!!! LOL! You could teach night diving there at high noon!!

8.42 is low tide (spring tides - so extra low) on saturday, that is at Venice Inlet, didnt see a place closer.

So the tide would be pretty much settled, not sure how bad that would affect things. 8am would be ok, might be a little later than that, but not much.

Still thinking about sunday somewhere. I just spoke to Curt(Kurt?) at Paradise and he says sunday's are busier - like most places, $27 to dive there and $35 for the drift (min 4) on silver river. Thinking we might just do two dives either at Paradise or one of the other places than try to spread ourselves around.

simbrooks:
Still not really sure which option to take, couldnt get thru to Paradise Springs folks, but from what i have read about it, i still have questions about the entrance to it. It sounds like if you arent on top of your game with kicks (frog of the like) that you can easily silt up the top part - concerned that this would cloud it out, or force silt into the main cavern. Not so sure we have our anti-silting kicks quite sorted yet, would there be great danger in that. Like i have said before i think we would be fine in the other two tourist traps, but not as familiar with reports on Paradise (yes i have searched!).

You'll be fine at Paradise. There is a large cavern down to about 45 feet, and if you stick to the main line, you'll stay off the floor and will be ok. The cavern then drops to about 100 feet and this is where the real silty area is. Past this point, you're in a cave and I would recommend not going any further unless properly trained.

Check out my dive report for Paradise Springs:

http://www.arojas.com/diving/diveguide/dr_paradisesprings.html

I find Paradise to be larger, roomier, and more interesting than both
Devil's Den and Blue Grotto.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom