Newly certified headed home to Oregon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One question am I going to need environmentaly sealed regs diving in the PNW? I’ve looked and not found a guideline for water temp that requires them.

PNW is cold but you're not going to be diving under the ice in near freezing water.

One question am I going to need environmentaly sealed regs diving in the PNW? I’ve looked and not found a guideline for water temp that requires them.
With your water temps. I would doubt it. I have dived in as cold as 33F (salt) water with my old used Mares reg which is not environmentally sealed. I suppose they all are different.

Somebody here in Hawaii told me they wouldn’t services my regs in Oregon if they weren’t environmentaly sealed.

When I was about your age I dove Oregon coastal waters in 1/4 inch farmer john with a full jacket over it, and with gloves and a hood (a hood is pretty much essential), and didn't ever overheat. Now, messing around on a So Cal beach in a wetsuit I might overheat on the beach. But Oregon beaches are not Baywatch, as you know. And as others can easily learn:

Also, I've dove Oregon water with some less than stellar rental regs, and they all worked. A decent reg should work in 50 degree water.

Was just certified OW PADI this month in Maui. I have 8 logged dives. I purchased a complete second hand kit and excited to dive back home.

I’ve got my eye on AOW and deep dive when I get home but need wetsuit for the colder Pacific Northwest waters. Also looking for dive buddies for spear fishing and crabbing.
Adam, welcome back to the PNW! The two best dive shops that I can recommend in the Portland Metro are Under Water Works in Tigard and Pacific WaterSports in Aloha.

Pacific Watersports Inc.
Home

As far as recreational diving is concerned, all of the best diving is 2-3 hours north of Portland in the Puget Sound and Hood Canal (Washington).
If you plan to dive in a wetsuit, then I would recommend a semi-dry wetsuit. There are a number of options. If you are going to stay put in the PNW and be a consistent diver up here, then I would recommend getting a drysuit and drysuit certified. Both of the shops mentioned previously can assist you.

Spear fishing and crabbing is not my thing- so, I can't be of assistance there. Everywhere I dive is Marine protected. PM me if you need anything else. Happy to be of assistance.

Welcome to SB Adam. Lots of nice people who know tons about scuba. Just no C-cards given out here.:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom