NEWBIE... GEAR RECOMMENDATIONS ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A mask that fits reliably, got to be first choice. Some people seem to be able to wear anything and it doesn't leak, but then some of us try dozens until we find one that actually fits. So, I always have a back up. Nothing else will stop you diving if you have to hire it.

Regulator - the key is the fit of the mouthpiece. I take a spare mouthpiece and zip-ties so that if the hire reg has a mouthpiece built for a gorilla I can swap. Also I have come across mouthpieces that have micro holes or splits that let salt water in = throwing up in the boat after the dive = nobody loves you.

BC - well that depends on how well any old BC fits you. Never had any problem with the old Sherwood hire gear, but then we got onto the fancy stuff with sternum strap and integral weights. Giant stride in, BC rode up and nearly garotted by sternum strap, buoyancy completely carped out because weights in wrong place. And then pockets and D rings in all sorts of places - spend half an hour underwater trying to put stuff away/get stuff out. Forget pulling out and attaching the reef hook - you're well gone and into the next ocean. Have own BC, get in and relax, buoyancy, stowage, all cool.

If you're hiring gear try to find out what make the gear is, sizes, and what make/type of fins etc, in advance.

As for buying gear - try to borrow or try out hire gear so that you know what the kit does when you are seriously diving. And don't buy anything from anyone who says that trying it on on-land is good enough.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom