NEWBIE... GEAR RECOMMENDATIONS ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diving Deek

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi.. I'm a newb. Just got Open Water Certified.
I have no clue as to what essential gear I need with all the different models of BC, Regulators, etc.
My "local" dive shop is an hour away (the closest) and is basically shut down due to Covid.
I don't mind buying used gear if I knew what to look for. In fact, I'd prefer modern, but used equipment to save some $$.
I'll mostly be diving midwestern quarries, with an annual trip to FL or somewhere south.
Feel free to PM w/ suggestions.

Thanks Folks.

....and the URL didn't post...

First thing is your own mask . And you should think about a computer before BC and regs. If you are a pretty easy fit (I'm not and a lot of dive shops don't have BCs small enough) then don't worry about a BC too soon.

I would prioritize like this
- mask/fins
- computer
- regs (mostly due to covid otherwise I would be fine to rent and would put wetsuit here)
- wetsuit
- bcd

I would put the wetsuit higher on the list.
I dont want to dive in the pee of others..

But yes, bcd should be the last.

Do you dive in cold or warm water?

Yup, me too. Again, the only reason I put regs higher was covid and some are concerned about rental regs.

Incidentally, urine is sterile :wink:

I’m assuming that you bought all your basic gear during OW? Mask, fins? Some shops will also include snorkel, wetsuit in that package.

If not then those should be your first. PM me and I’ll send you links to good, well priced new gear.

after that I would go

BCD
Regs
Computer

why this order?

I dive a backplate and wing and those aren’t something most shops rent. So you need to have your own. I am bias but I think BP/W is the best BCD set up for all levels of divers.

Regs before computer? You really only need a depth gauge and bottom timer for rec diving and just know your max bottom time for your max depth off the tables. When I dive rec my computer says 99 next to NDL for most of the dive and air capacity is the main reason I turn the dive. Plus, at least when I was renting gear every rental reg I got had a basic computer on it.

and that’s the main stuff, there is a lot of stuff you will need in addition (lights, reels, SMB...) but you can pick that stuff up as you go.

Dive Diving Equipment

This item is near me. Can someone PM me about it ? Hell, I can't even find PMs on this site ! Not user friendly to me !

In addition to what’s already been posted, I’ll just say to keep in mind that if you buy gear that’s not only used, but also outside of the service window (that stuff surely is from looking at it), you’re going to have to pay to service it...not merely inspect it (as you should any used gear).

The only way that I would recommend buying a used regulator set is if it’s a stupid good deal (the one you posted isn’t) and/or you can do the inspection and service yourself (not recommended unless you’ve take a regulator service course).

I'll mostly be diving midwestern quarries, with an annual trip to FL or somewhere south.

Back
Top Bottom