New vs. Used?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NauticalbutNice

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi there!

I've starting to buy some equipment (thanks for the Xmas money family! :eyebrow: ) and I've not got much so far.

I've got my fins, mask, snorkel (I've used it once - is that normal? Usually I just leave it on the boat), gloves and hood.

When it comes to BCs and drysuits (cold water diver alert!) I was wondering is it better to go new or used. I've seen a few drysuits/bcs for sale that are used but seem in good nick, but I'm not sure if used is the way to go. Any good/bad experiences? What are your preferences?

The other problem is that I'm on a fairly tight budget - there ain't a lot of cash to go around. But when it comes to something as important as a BC or drysuit, I don't mind saving and waiting, if it's the right thing to do. But getting a bargain would also be good!

Just looking for some general advice!

Thanks

Nauticalbutnice :fruit:

I wouldn't have a problem purchasing a used B/C. It would be a very easy process to do a rather comprehensive inspection on a B/C.

Exposure protection gear, on the other hand, would give me cause to go the new equipment route. One of the main considerations would be the integrity of the unit, be it a wet suit or dry suit. The fit would be another area for concern. The exposoure suit would be rather difficult to evaluate without empirical testing.

I agree with Kraken; it can argued that a drysuit would experience far more abuse than a BC would. You don't know how much sand the previous diver was kneeling in, how many seams were over stressed (or just worn down from use), etc. Never mind the fact that exposure protection, especially cold water suits, should be sized for the individual diver. Go for new (expensive, I know, but you'll be much happier in the long run).

take a look round ebay, like said before i'd not be looking for second hand dry suits wet suits, i bought one on ebay, the seller said it would fit me
once it was home, i got into it but it took about an hour to get out of it, i thought it was suposed to be a tight fit.
go and try several suits, before you buy, your next local'ish dive show would be a good place to look, i tried on 8 different suits before buying a northern divers suit, fitted me straight out of the bag, BCD's are much easier to sort out, decide what you want before you go looking, do you need lots of D rings, do you want zip or velcro pockets, integrated weights or a weight belt, there are a lot of variables to consider, before you get to spend your hard earned :wink:

Heard many horror stories about dry suits from E-bay but not too many about BC's. Also know what you are buying. I have seen many people post items as scuba gear and they aren't. Several were dry suits. Yes they were dry suits but meant for rafting and such, not for depth.

A similar argument is vented in the motorcycle world? Should I really buy that exspensive Arai Helmet, or can I just get a used cheapy. How much is your life worth to you and your family?? Look at what can fail, and wether or not you are ready to handle such a situation, then decide. I personally would not buy a used set of regulators, the rest I can all deal with. Rather rent and save till you can get what you want......diving is all about safety my friend.

Other than small items like mask or fin straps etc, 99% of my equiptment has been bought used and the money saved is gas for the boat.

Captain

Used on the BC is OK, but I'd stay away from used drysuits.

The essential requirement to buying used equipment is to know exactly what you are getting. At a minimum buying used equipment requires a fair amount of knowledge about the item, its condition and its suitability for your intended use. If you lack the knowledge or do not have some who you trust who does, then used is probably not the way to go.

I buy used regs all the time, but I am also a reg tech and can fix them. Even then I am picky and will stick with makes and models for which I can get parts. And if they are e-bay items, I bid with the assumption that I will have to replace a LOT of parts (even if the seller claims it has just been serviced) and bid appropriately low. Given that the labor is free and I get parts at cost, I still have a lot more room with a "low" bid than the average guy on the street.

I have also gotten four very good deals on used drysuits but then again I knew what was getting in terms of the model of suit and the specific suit. Ideally, if you buy a used dry suit, see it, try it on, and preferrably even dive it before you buy it. Otherwise be very cautions.

DA Aquamaster:
The essential requirement to buying used equipment is to know exactly what you are getting. At a minimum buying used equipment requires a fair amount of knowledge about the item, its condition and its suitability for your intended use. If you lack the knowledge or do not have some who you trust who does, then used is probably not the way to go.

Yeah, I agree.

I've actually roped one of the guys at my LDS into coming with me to look at a used bc. He knows his stuff and I trust him to give me pointers on what to look for.

Nauticalbutnice :fruit:

Back
Top Bottom