New vs. Used?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you know what you're doing and exactly what you're buying, used is fine. If you're a neophyte just testing the waters, maybe that's not the best way.
And remember, it's ALWAYS cheaper to buy something once instead of upgrading a couple of times.

Tom Winters:
If you know what you're doing and exactly what you're buying, used is fine. If you're a neophyte just testing the waters, maybe that's not the best way.
And remember, it's ALWAYS cheaper to buy something once instead of upgrading a couple of times.

Did you know I actually had to go and look up the word neophyte?!? Please small words...not very bright! :bonk:

But in the answer to your question (that wasn't actually a question...) I am very new to diving, only been doing it for 3 months or so, but I love it! I've completed my AOW and am waiting till I'm a better diver till I do the rescue course.

I want to start buying some stuff since I'm fairly skint and the money I spend on equipment rental would be better served paying for dives.

Nauticalbutnice :fruit:

Also agree that used BCD's can be fine (I own three of them, two purchased on E-Bay). I find some of the newer models have what I refer to as "design flaws" and I prefer the older ones, which in some cases are better made.

As for exposure suits, I would only buy used from someone whose diving habits and equipment I was familiar with. Of course I don't dive dry (despite the title of my newspaper column... my readers are the ones who dive dry). I have received gifts of slightly used wetsuits that have been great. They were from divers who no longer dive. I think they felt bad for me when I was wearing my 13-year old "signature" M&B wetsuit in the Park.

Dr. Bill

Diving in Scotland - now there's some coooooooold water. Fortunately, you can load up on haggis before you hit the water. I cede you my share of the world's allotment of haggis.
A used bc should not be a problem, but a used drysuit opens up a whole can of worms. You can spend a lot of Scottish moolah fixing lousy seals and having it resized to fit you. On the other hand, with a little delving around, you ought to be able to come up with something pretty good. Take a look at the Yorkshire Divers board since a lot of them are over on your side of the ocean.
I don't think I'd dive in a wetsuit in Scotland - it would have to be so thick that it make things just too awkward. But then again, I'm diving in a drysuit in southern Florida in the winter.

used bcs are fine as long as the bc is in good condition.
i started with a used bc, got it from my LDS ( they sell all their rental bc's after a year or 2) and the bc fit great and i dove it for 2 years before out growing it.

Tom Winters:
Diving in Scotland - now there's some coooooooold water. Fortunately, you can load up on haggis before you hit the water. I cede you my share of the world's allotment of haggis.

Why thank you! I'd also like some neeps and tatties too. :wink:

I've never dived in a wetsuit, only a drysuit. But then again I did learn to swim in the North Sea, on our summer holidays. Us Scots are a hardy bunch :eyebrow:

Nauticalbutnice :fruit:

The big problem for someone just starting out on a hobby is to know how long it will last and how much to invest.
I have a mixture of new and used gear and I'm on about my third round of upgrades.
So far it hasn't cost me very much because I can generally resell used gear for nearly what I paid.
Most of my favourite gear is top-end stuff that I picked up at bargain prices. In the case of regulators, it's just a case of getting them serviced before use.
I just picked up a set of Avanti Quattro fins this weekend for less than 50% of the cheapest price I found new. They look like they just came out of the shop. There isn't a scratch on them. The guy did just his pool training and gave up.
I have a top end BC which cost me 30% of the new price. But it's a bit heavy for flying so I also have another lighter weight one.
The bottom line is, by buying used I can afford to have a wider choice of equipment available to suit the diving I'm going to do without breaking the bank.

Used regulators can be a very good deal. You can get a top of the line regulator that is 5-10 years old for maybe 30% of what the same reg would cost new. The performance difference compared to a new top end reg will be zero and as long as the reg can be serviced, you'll have a great reg for less money than you would have paid for an entry level reg with far less performance.

But condition is everything and you can afford to be picky. There are many, many used regs out there bought by divers who quit soon after getting their cert and/or who only made a couple of tropical trips before giving it up, so the regs are nearly new. And it is important to stay with companies that have a long history of supporting their older and/or discontinued models and have a wide spread dealer network. At this point that limits you pretty much to Scubapro and Aqualung/US Divers.

DA Aquamaster:
Used regulators can be a very good deal. You can get a top of the line regulator that is 5-10 years old for maybe 30% of what the same reg would cost new.

With respect Aquamaster, i disagree. I would quite happily buy a second hand BC, maybe even drysuit, but I would spare no expense on regulators. One thing that we may have in common Nautical would be our cold water diving. So I would always recommend to customers and students to spare no expense purchase a new, decent cold water reg.
Your regulator is your lifeline, if it's new, you have a warranty, if it's not you dont, which could cause problems if you had any issues with it.

But thats just my 2bar!

SF

ScubaFreak:
Your regulator is your lifeline, if it's new, you have a warranty, if it's not you dont, which could cause problems if you had any issues with it.
SF

How does that warranty make it any better a "lifeline"?

I retired my new reg (Mk20/G500) and have gone to some used regs (Mk10/BA) I picked up on ebay. They perform every bit as well and promise to be more durable. I've never understood how that warrenty was going to do much good while submerged.

Back
Top Bottom