New Turks & Caicos videos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

peterjmaerz:
I loved Fiji and would certainly consider a rerun.

Peter:

Did you dive Fiji land based or on a liveaboard ?

Ideally, I would like to do world class diving, but my non-diving wife likes cushy resorts.

Any suggestions ?

ronrosa:
Peter:

Did you dive Fiji land based or on a liveaboard ?

Ideally, I would like to do world class diving, but my non-diving wife likes cushy resorts.

Any suggestions ?

I did the Garden Island Resort on Taveuni and Wananavu Resort on Nananu I Ra. Here's my lengthy report:

http://www.scubaboard.com/t26957-.html

I know there are lovely resorts on the big Viti Levu island, I believe on the Bequa (sp?) Lagoon where you and your wife could both find satisfaction, if I'm not mistaken. Try some searches on the board and Undercurrent.

By the way, still loving my TransPac II! Travels very well and is always so very comfortable and stable.

I'm subbing for the Evenin' Jazz host here at the radio station, so back to the console to finish out the night.

All the best,

roundrockdiver:
Great Video. Thanks for sharing. Can you tell me what editing software you are using and what kind of lighting on the night dive please?

Looks Great.

Matt

I use Vegas Video for editing. Very easy and reliable. They have an excellent user's forum on their website as well as a tuturial and free trial version available for downloading.

Lighting is good old reliable halogen. 50 watt single lamp with 120 degree reflector, wet connect cable, 9 AH NIMH battery canister worn on my BCD waist strap. HID is the hot thing right now, but I like being able to turn my light on/off whenever I want, plus the $$$ saved pays for more vacations.

ronrosa:
I use Vegas Video for editing. Very easy and reliable. They have an excellent user's forum on their website as well as a tuturial and free trial version available for downloading.

Lighting is good old reliable halogen. 50 watt single lamp with 120 degree reflector, wet connect cable, 9 AH NIMH battery canister worn on my BCD waist strap. HID is the hot thing right now, but I like being able to turn my light on/off whenever I want, plus the $$$ saved pays for more vacations.

How do think Vegas Video compares with Pinnacle? I have used it for about a year now and still have problems. If you are familiar with Pinnacle do you think it is less user friendly than Vegas?

Thanks, Matt

ronrosa:

Hey Ron, I just sent you a copy of the video I did aboard the same boat. Give me your critique when you get a chance.

Can you send me the link for the Vegas tutorial. I purchased the software and was unable to figure it all out and went back to using the freebie "Windows Movie Maker. I would love to unlock the potential in Vegas though.

Jeff

JRO:
Hey Ron, I just sent you a copy of the video I did aboard the same boat. Give me your critique when you get a chance.

Can you send me the link for the Vegas tutorial. I purchased the software and was unable to figure it all out and went back to using the freebie "Windows Movie Maker. I would love to unlock the potential in Vegas though.

Jeff

Jeff:

Check you private messages. My office has recently moved.

Ron

roundrockdiver:
How do think Vegas Video compares with Pinnacle? I have used it for about a year now and still have problems. If you are familiar with Pinnacle do you think it is less user friendly than Vegas?

Thanks, Matt

Sorry, not familiar with Pinnacle. What kind of problems are you having ?

Ron, This video is great! Thank you for sharing. Do you have any recommendations on what I would need to purchase and the cost to get into this type of video work? (e.g., camera, housing, software, etc.) My wife and I take two scuba trips per year and always buy a video if it is available. I have a fairly nice laptop and creative mind.

Thanks for any advice. I have birthday coming up in March....so maybe I can talk my wife into buying a used camera.

Thanks,
Will

triggertravel:
Ron, This video is great! Thank you for sharing. Do you have any recommendations on what I would need to purchase and the cost to get into this type of video work? (e.g., camera, housing, software, etc.) My wife and I take two scuba trips per year and always buy a video if it is available. I have a fairly nice laptop and creative mind.

Thanks for any advice. I have birthday coming up in March....so maybe I can talk my wife into buying a used camera.

Thanks,
Will
Will, glad you enjoyed the video. Underwater video is an expensive but very rewarding hobby. I don't get to dive as much as I'd like, making & watching videos is the next best thing.

To answer your question, the basics you need are a camcorder and housing. I recommend a Sony mini DV camcorder. Mini DV will give you much better resolution than any of the older technologies such as 8mm, hi-8 etc.. Sony camcorders have more housing options than any other camcorder manufacturer.

Figure on spending around $1000 for a good camcorder new. You can save yourself a lot of money if you buy used. There should be plenty of them around. However, before you buy your camcorder you should research the housing options. A good housing will cost $1000 or more new. You may find a good bargain in the used market. Most likely sellers will package their used housing and camcorder together. If you can't fine a used housing, buying a used camcorder and a new housing will at least save you a few hundred bucks.

For basic editing software figure around $100-$150.

If spending this kind of money hasn't scared you off, send me a message for more info or take a look at the moving pixels forum at digital diver website. Lots of good reading there.

http://www.digitaldiver.net/yabbse/index.php?board=7

Back
Top Bottom