New to me Compressor and Tanks. Now what?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Always run two fill whips to keep your tanks cooler pressures higher top ups less and to run your compressor

Only 2 whips?
I have 3 with option for a 4th.
(3 is enough for me for now)
After a while it does get tedious to switch things around... depending on how you are filling.

On my portable compressor I only have 1 whip. But I usually fill 2 tanks at a time because I normally have doubles:wink:

Only 2 whips?
I have 3 with option for a 4th.
(3 is enough for me for now)
After a while it does get tedious to switch things around... depending on how you are filling.

On my portable compressor I only have 1 whip. But I usually fill 2 tanks at a time because I normally have doubles:wink:
I have never seen the need for more than 2, but wouldn't want any less. I can fill tanks and switch without shutting things down or having to open up the bank. Example; maybe I'll start with doubles and an 80. The 80 gets turned off 1st and the doubles continue, meanwhile I can swap out for my other set of doubles and when the 1st set is done I can have the 2nd set all ready to go.

I know this is trivial for anyone who has ran a compressor, but op has not. I could maybe see needing more whips with a large bank and more tanks, but whenever I fill it's mostly for just me.

Multiple whips are run off a small manifold setup, correct?
Suggestion on fill valves?

Multiple whips are run off a small manifold setup, correct?
Suggestion on fill valves?
I really need to take better pictures. I don't have any that would show, but basically I have my filter tower, then a PMV. Directly after that I have a gauge and a 1/4" T with whips going in either direction. Valves are at the end of either whip, each has its own bleeder. I got my valves from August Industries, they were the "deluxe" version. Both are din, but I already owned yoke adapters.

You do not need a manifold unless using more than 2, but you could always just add another T.

Manifolds do look pretty though if done right. Look around the internet. I've always liked this guys setup (can't remember who), but he has quick connects on everything so he can switch back and forth for various reasons. For the time being, get things setup with 2 whips. We can all get lost in bigger and better but the goal should be get it up and running with 2 whips and grow from there.

IMG_20210503_151410773.jpg

Yes that does look very nice. It give me an idea. Things are coming clearer.
2 whips sounds good.
You also answered another one of my questions, can i use adapters. I have both DIN and yoke tanks.

Some ideas. Or use a din yoke adapter.
You find all kinds of interesting fitting in the paintball section.

I do change out the little junk gauges...
Alot of those are hit and miss if they are remotely accurate

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240719-092005_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20240719-092005_Samsung Internet.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 6
Yes I'll have to get better pictures.
I put a Male fitting on with a check valve so tanks can't back flow

Attachments

• 20240711_185538.jpg
    20240711_185538.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 20231106_064246.jpg
    20231106_064246.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 5
Might be of some interest

Careful: Don't get two many cascade bottles or have too much capacity. I was warned, when I was thinking of doing what you are doing, that it's important to run your compressor enough--often enough and long enough each time--in order to keep it healthy.
Thanks for the reminder... taking advantage of the break in the weather here today (nice 72°F morning) to run the compressor and fill the bank, and run the compressor for the first time in a like a month+.

The "need to run the compressor regularly" was my justification for getting rid of my old shop air compressor. Now all the tires have Grade E air in them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom