New to me Compressor and Tanks. Now what?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This unit came from a fire station. The sticker says the filters were service 2 years ago. Idk if that’s just a cleaning or is a replacement. I suppose that the controller will give me the information once it’s fired up.
Building the system on paper is my current hang up. I am not sure what all is needed. That’s the information I’m trying to obtain.

Attachments

• IMG_5441.jpeg
    IMG_5441.jpeg
    121.5 KB · Views: 10
The name and phone number of the compressor tech is on the label you posted. Why not give him a call and see about hiring him to get you up and running, or at least get an estimate on what you need?

The name and phone number of the compressor tech is on the label you posted. Why not give him a call and see about hiring him to get you up and running, or at least get an estimate on what you need?
I considered that. I drove 4.5 hours, one way, to pick this up so he’s not really close by.

I considered that. I drove 4.5 hours, one way, to pick this up so he’s not really close by.
Ok he's not going to drive out to you but it's worth a call to get some pointers and maybe a referral to a local tech.

I think you're going to have a steep learning curve to DIY this without prior experience.

Timmyjane, It's been awhile...We exchanged some thoughts on your MK10 rebuilds, I'm assuming all went well with that endeavor? Regarding your compressor acquisition, just one thought comes to mind..."Sweet deal"!!! I've been filling my own cylinders with a Coltri MCH-6 now for about 5 years and in my opinion, the satisfaction that comes with being completely independent and "off the grid" far outweighs any capital investment and /or operating costs. Once you get it up & running you're gonna love it. If mine blew up tomorrow, I'd buy another one in a heart beat. Regarding, parts & accessories, try NUVAIR.COM They tend to be a bit pricey, but well stocked and will provide custom services. As an aside, you might just try sneaking up on it. A cascade system is great and I'm sure that's what you'll end up with, but in the interim, there's no reason you just can't fill your tanks individually. You need to baby sit the compressor a little more but it typically takes me only 15-20 Min to fill an 80 at 3.5 CFM and I'm sure that bad boy you have is in the neighborhood of 5-7 CFM. Just make sure you have an appropriate pressure relief valve, somewhere around 4K psi should be fine. Just a few suggestions. I would change the oil and filtration media / cartridges. Empty one of your tanks, take a peek inside. Fill it and drain it a few times. Take another peek. If all is clean and dry. Go dive. Congratulations...I'm jealous, $174.00... Mine was 3K and worth every penny. My only regret is not buying one sooner :cool:

@Bloody Knuckles
Thanks for the feedback. The MK10s went great. I built and shared a bunch of tools in the 3d printing thread. Did the same with a bunch of G250s.

I’ll check and change the oil.
I need to understand the media and cartridges. This is a Scott compressor built by 3M for municipalities. As a result, there is basically no information out there that I can find. No guides or service manuals. I suspect it’s because of the target market. I did find one year manual but there isn’t any discussion about maintenance or connections. It’s just how to fill tanks with a filling station basically.
I’ll check out the supplier link. Perhaps they will have some info I can put together.
I’m thinking there will be a hose that goes from the compressor that goes to the big tanks. Those tanks are daisy chained and feed a whip that has a SCUBA tank adapter. Somewhere in that system with be a pressure relief, gauges, and perhaps a regulator? It’s the required parts and pieces I am not sure about. Does that setup sound correct?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom