New to me Compressor and Tanks. Now what?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Gone for diving
Thank you for the info. The process is beginning to become clearer. I dont have any air rifles but you maybe on to something there. Ha. I have eyeballed them in the past.

@iain/hsm
Well they fooled me! lol. Reading what information I was able to find I derived the municipalities comment. That’s how they market it. Your off hand knowledge is pretty impressive. I appreciate you sharing it. You are 100% correct on the compressor brand. I can’t really make out the model in the photo I have. I’ll attempt to get a better picture next time I am at the shop. The lighting was really playing havoc on my camera. It might say V22H-AL?

@rob.mwpropane
I’m not scared away yet. 🤣. It the unit become scrap I will still come out ahead with knowledge and probably scrap value.
I did reach out to the tech as @Still Kicking suggested. No word back from him yet. I gave NUVAIR a call based on @Bloody Knuckles recommendation. They believe that have compatible filtration parts and Mitch is doing a little research and will advise me by email. We are making some headway here.

My original plan was to connect this unit up at another location but I don’t think I have the proper wiring in place. This 10hp motor is going to take some pretty serious wire and a 50A breaker, best I have determined. I’m going to have to clear some space at my home shop and make the connections here. That unfortunately means I’ll have to pay the power bill vs someone else. Ha. It will make access a little easier though.

Attachments

• IMG_5431.jpeg
    IMG_5431.jpeg
    125.9 KB · Views: 8
Timmyjane
Hi as ian said parts for this compressor block can be hard to come by.
I know a company in england that has spare parts for the compressor block.
The version of the block you have is current you can get all parts,
Also a full parts manual and full strip down /rebuild manual.
Ian told you to use anderol 500 this now replaced with 555.

Pm me if you want any help with compressor block or the mde filter system

Gardner Denver / Mako sent me this manual.

Attachments

• 4S17 Garner Compressor.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
For a small fill station (small, continuous-duty compressor, and 2 to 4 cascade bottles), you can keep things simple and relatively inexpensive. For example, no need for a fill panel; instead, you can configure things with brass or SS pigtails, and use the valves on the cascade bottles. And no need for expensive filter cartridges; instead, you can set up your system to pack the filter stacks yourself. Stick with a single fill whip for a while, and then add a second fill whip when you're able to spend for it.

Comb the garage sales or eBay and procure a few old-school 72's (that are full at only 2,475 psig, if plus-rated). Keep in mind that these (and your cascade bottles?) will need to be hydro'd every five years, so don't get too many. Maybe only enough for you and your wife to spend a weekend diving. You'll have to cart them around in your coupe/sedan/minivan/pickup, though.

Careful: Don't get two many cascade bottles or have too much capacity. I was warned, when I was thinking of doing what you are doing, that it's important to run your compressor enough--often enough and long enough each time--in order to keep it healthy.

Can't wait to see your fill station build!

rx7diver

Always run two fill whips to keep your tanks cooler pressures higher top ups less and to run your compressor

My ten year test, 232lb personal use bank bottles, get tested with my knuckles and will never be tested again

Back
Top Bottom