New to me Compressor and Tanks. Now what?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Attachments

• IMG_5502.png
    IMG_5502.png
    41.7 KB · Views: 12
Well shoot. There is a strip in the housing that says it turns colors when depleted. Per the strip the filters are still ok. Unfortunately I left them uncovered because there was moisture in the aluminum housings. The compressor is 35 mins away and I’m heading out for a week trip. Hopefully I can find the time.

It’s 14CFM @ 6000psi.

Can you tell if this is my PMV? It’s described as back pressure regulator. Seems it might be the same thing just different terminology. pic attached, link below.

Yes Sir, that is a BPV / PMV (same thing). That is user adjustable, it's probably already set correctly but I find that over time I've had to readjust mine (at least twice in 3 years). I think the spring wears a little. Super easy to adjust.

As far as the filters go, because this is an oil cooled compressor I would probably change filters anyway. Maybe get things running with what you have, but have a new set ready to go. Alternatively I would maybe use the filters, but get the air tested right away. The problem is that leaving them exposed to ambient air is they'll absorb moisture. The moisture that gets past them will destroy steel tanks.

Those little strips aren't all that accurate. I don't use them at all. The one in my little sight glass has never done me any good. You're much better off tracking how many hours you're running and how many cf that equated to. Change filters as needed. Attached is a spreadsheet someone posted on here that I really like. The important parts are temp and hours run. You have to plug in what your compressor is rated at along with how many cf your filter can handle. This is nice because when you plug in ambient it will calculate the amount of filter life you have left. The higher the ambient the faster you'll run through filter life.

I really try to keep ambient below 70. That's not the temperature that reaches the filter, Bauer states that the rise is ~ 18F after the compressor. So 70F will net ~ 78F 88F at the filter!

Attachments

• Compressor Filter Life - NEW.xlsx
    13.6 KB · Views: 15
One of those numbers is wrong .... (Typo)
And that's what happens when I try to type too fast! Good call.

Bauer actually states 18-27F, the spreadsheet I attached is set at 18F though.

I actually think my compressor (or should I say our compressor!.. good ole Rix's) runs cooler than 18F. With an ir thermometer I see somewhere around 11-14F difference. I always figured a little more wiggle room thrown in was ok.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    17.5 KB · Views: 10
You're much better off tracking how many hours you're running and how many cf that equated to. Change filters as needed. Attached is a spreadsheet someone posted on here that I really like. The important parts are temp and hours run. You have to plug in what your compressor is rated at along with how many cf your filter can handle. This is nice because when you plug in ambient it will calculate the amount of filter life you have left. The higher the ambient the faster you'll run through filter life.

I really try to keep ambient below 70. That's not the temperature that reaches the filter, Bauer states that the rise is ~ 18F after the compressor. So 70F will net ~ 78F 88F at the filter!

:cool:

I got my air test results back from the lab. It wasn't a surprise, but rated for O.C.A. is a great statement of compressor health.

I wish you great success with your project.

Hope this helps.

I don't mind pcp fittings, don't seem as popular here on scubaboard.
But I don't mind it. Plus the hoses are low bore. And quite flexible.
And if you want a transfer whip just a matter of quick connecting a hose or two to your fill adapters
Are you using 1/4” PCP fittings? Seems everything is 1/8” that I’m coming across.

Back
Top Bottom