new to DH regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As noted above, the biggest issues are prevented with routine maintenence.

One of the largest issues I see with single hose regs is that the exhaust valve glues itself to the case with salt and silt deposits. On a Single hose reg, a strong exhalation will pop that mushroom style valve loose. With a double hose reg, most of them utilize a duckbill style valve that has much more surface area and if you manage to get it stuck together, it is much harder to get completely unstuck.

On a double hose reg, the stuff inside the cans is essentially sealed, but it is not impossible for moisture to get past non-return valve in the inlet side of the mouthpiece and enter that area. Once there hter is no great way for it to dry and corrosion can occur, and you can start growing some interesting cultures inside the hoses.

So, taking the cans apart allows you to inspect and if needed rinse the area inside the cans and it lets you rinse (and if you let it get bad, sterilize) the inhalation and exhalation hoses.

Actually taking the cans apart is a major pita with if you have box clips, so one of your first investments will probably be a band clamp if your DH is not already equipped with one.

Internally in a PRAM, the spring in the first stage holds the seat off the orifice when the reg is depressurized, so there is no wear occurring during storage, and in any event the titan seat that is used is very durable with a very long life. The second stage does have a spring pressing the seat carrier against the orifice, so there is some potential for the rubber seat to develop a seating groove in storage, but this is not usually an issue even over a period of a few years. If an issue develops it will be aslight freeflow and that is normally resolved with a slight adjustment of the screw holding the seat carrier. That fails to work only when the seat is truly worn out, and in that case, the seat can be flipped and you can repeat the whole process until that side is also worn out.

With the use of modern high presure seats and silicone hoses, mouthpieces, diaphragms, duckbills and mushroom valves, the soft parts just don't age as quickly as they did with rubber parts, so that is much less of an issue, now.

I see you new to the board, welcome. You should also check out the Vintage Double Hose forum, you will see a lot of the same names there. I would also encourage you to find a local mentor and spend some time with them learning to dive with a DH reg. They are different beast and while not difficult they do dive differently than a single hose reg, a good mentor will help out a lot. I know there are a couple of good DH divers in your general area, maybe they will pipe up and invite you on a dive. If you happen to ever be in the Raleigh NC area, I am always happy to go DH diving.

Forgive me But , your are kidding right???

Yep, I knew you'd get lots of serious (and accurate) opinions on this so I decided to have a little fun. What DA says about the hoses is an issue; some dh users have gone to the extent of building hose dryers. The hoses for my PRAM, which has been out of the water for several weeks getting re-chromed and rebuilt, just developed a small biology experiment so I'll have to clean those as well.

Yep, I knew you'd get lots of serious (and accurate) opinions on this so I decided to have a little fun. What DA says about the hoses is an issue; some dh users have gone to the extent of building hose dryers. The hoses for my PRAM, which has been out of the water for several weeks getting re-chromed and rebuilt, just developed a small biology experiment so I'll have to clean those as well.

Now who would do such a silly thing, much less build a double dryer for a double hose. :)

normal_DSC00017web.jpg
normal_DSC00018-web.jpg

Hoses completely dry in 1-2 hrs, no more funky smelling hoses.

Personally on a working DH reg I won't use the @$#&^(* box clips. All the DH regs I use on a regular basis from my Mistrals to my Royals and my Phoenix and MK3 are outfitted with band clamps. The only exception is my Faux 50 Fathom that can't use one. I am somewhat anal about going through things back at the shop when I get home. I put a lot into these regs and I intend to keep them in tip top shape. Ask anyone who has ever bought one from me. They are clean as a whistle if nothing else. Would Mike Nelson do anything less??????? LOL

If using a two stage, single or double hose regulator, one of the indicators that service is indicated is the stability of the intermediate pressure. I routinely (every 6-10 dives or so) check the intermediate pressure to determine its setting and to ascertain whether or not there is "creep". Creep being a gradual increase in the pressure after an initial settling of a few seconds. Most designs, when properly broken in, will display zero to 3 psi of drift. A reg that drifts more than 5 psi is likely now, or relatively soon, to be in need of service.

That said...If you are considering the purchase of a vintage double hose regulator, then I suggest purchasing a Phoenix conversion from Bryan at www.vintagdoublehose.com. A new supply of Phoenix units are scheduled for delivery in May or June. A Phoenix allows you to use LP and HP accessories, just as with a modern reg.

I personally am a big fan of the single stage double hose regs. They are extremely reliable, and are simple to keep up and running. Of the single stage designs, I highly recommend purchasing a set of Voit 50 Fathom reproduction cans from Rob at Home and having Bryan install a Mistral valve assembly. Here is a picture of my two reproduction 50 Fathom regs. One has an original Voit downstream valve system, and the other has a Mistral valve. The one with the Mistral internals made a dive last summer to 150ffw, and was still breathing very well. You can use a long yoke and "banjo" HP fitting (also from VDH) to utilize a SPG.

P1011143.jpg

_DSC1494.jpg

Greg Barlow
Former Science Editor for Rodale's Scuba Diving Magazine

I did buy the parts from Brian, ( and would also like a 50 Fathom, next)! I bought a Phoenix from a man in Australia!( He had it for sale on the forum). I just have to but it all together!

Standin:idk:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom