Question Best Source To Purchase Rebuilt RAM Reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What is "vintage dive travel" pray tell? Does it involve H.G. Wells and a time machine by chance? I mean, a time machine is hardly needed, there are plenty of troglodytes right here in this forum.
Ha, Hah…I was thinking the same myself at one time, however the last time I actually spoke to Dan ( out of Selma, OR ) he was speaking of selling down or out of his stock at VSS as he was getting older. He asked me about if I would be interested in going on some of the trips he books through his place to tropical locations set up primarily for his Vintage SCUBA gear students and former vintage gear students to go on. He also says he will no longer service SHRs and in time, no more DHRs …heckuva great guy and I can’t seem to get much info off of his Vintage Scuba Supply website anymore. He will only occasionally respond to my e-mails. You will see his postings on eBay as Vintage Scuba Supply or his eBay handle ‘dandelione’ selling off some of his stock or collection. …best of Luck, Nemrod. Once I get my limitations in line ( for my conditions ) I may just take him up on one of these. I believe ‘Truk Lagoon’ is one of his destinations.
Sincerely,
Scott G. Bonser
’the’ giantfroginthepool

Anyone have a "Proteus" double hose scuba regulator from Jerri?
You may want to call Jerrie about that one. He has great resources. He does have a ‘unique’ restoration service he does by order as well as sell a few that he has redone from eBay and other sources.

He Cerakotes all of the metal parts and housings for long life, refits them with all new guts and hoses/rubber parts and they really look sharp. He’s like an engineer with lots of resources. To ask him, go to www.diverdowndhr.com or contact him by text or in person (419) 534-0714 or diver1969s@yahoo.com. …a really great guy and part of the Kraken R & D group w/Bryan Pennington, Luis H. And others.

Cerakoting is ‘not my thing ‘ but it is a fantastic DHR, even some SHRs as well.
Best of Luck 🤿🙂

Scott G. Bonser
’the’. giantfroginthepool

Ha, Hah…I was thinking the same myself at one time, however the last time I actually spoke to Dan ( out of Selma, OR ) he was speaking of selling down or out of his stock at VSS as he was getting older. He asked me about if I would be interested in going on some of the trips he books through his place to tropical locations set up primarily for his Vintage SCUBA gear students and former vintage gear students to go on. He also says he will no longer service SHRs and in time, no more DHRs …heckuva great guy and I can’t seem to get much info off of his Vintage Scuba Supply website anymore. He will only occasionally respond to my e-mails. You will see his postings on eBay as Vintage Scuba Supply or his eBay handle ‘dandelione’ selling off some of his stock or collection. …best of Luck, Nemrod. Once I get my limitations in line ( for my conditions ) I may just take him up on one of these. I believe ‘Truk Lagoon’ is one of his destinations.
Sincerely,
Scott G. Bonser
’the’ giantfroginthepool

I have met Dan several times and dived with him. It was at Wazee quarry. Everytime I went there, I think three times, the locals stole everything I had, my tent, lamp, sleeping bag and chairs. The park ranger insisted that they never had any theft and nothing had been stolen! And refused to make a report despite her clueless axx standing in my empty campsite. I do not have a lot of interest in diving in a quarry, not even sure it counts as diving, I guess for training and equipment testing, maybe.

Dan used to have the Voit UDT fins and I bought a set from him. I also enjoy his exact reproduction neoprene hoses, I have them on my Krakens and Phoenix. I have come to be not particularly fond of the silicone hoses because they are floaty and notch sensitive. But silicone does have many good properties like not taking a set or being impervious to most chemicals. Preferences, I like neoprene, it is tough, because a split inhalation hose inside that little wreck in Cozumel was not fun.

I have met Dan several times and dived with him. It was at Wazee quarry. Everytime I went there, I think three times, the locals stole everything I had, my tent, lamp, sleeping bag and chairs. The park ranger insisted that they never had any theft and nothing had been stolen! And refused to make a report despite her clueless axx standing in my empty campsite. I do not have a lot of interest in diving in a quarry, not even sure it counts as diving, I guess for training and equipment testing, maybe.

Dan used to have the Voit UDT fins and I bought a set from him. I also enjoy his exact reproduction neoprene hoses, I have them on my Krakens and Phoenix. I have come to be not particularly fond of the silicone hoses because they are floaty and notch sensitive. But silicone does have many good properties like not taking a set or being impervious to most chemicals. Preferences, I like neoprene, it is tough, because a split inhalation hose inside that little wreck in Cozumel was not fun.
T G I have never had one of my DHR hoses split….yet. Yes Dan had some really great stuff and I wish I knew where he got it. My ‘Sport Diver’ vintage style SCUBA mask I bought from him is one of my most comfortable masks ever. It’s silicone but closely mimics neoprene in every way. My new Kraken has the hose weights. …takes away the mouth fatigue and keeps hoses a little farther from the side of my face/neck so a quick turn doesn’t give you a ‘view full’ of hose. My DA Aquamaster from Quebec, CA has two of his neoprene yellow hoses and they are ‘right on time’.

we need to generate more ‘younger’ interest in the Vintage stuff, and like myself want to keep learning more. I am only 64, but Far, Far from an expert. Rob says he may get me to service some of his stuff. …not entIrely sure if I am quite ready for that at this stage, though. …..just ‘Livin’ Large’ or ‘la vida loco’ ..

Scott G. Bonser

It is a noble cause, good luck with it.
Thank You my friend. I have had a few inquiries from SCUBA ‘fire and rescue‘personnel as well as other watersports enthusiasts after they see my collection and I give a nice demo. I send them to Rob, Allan & Alec Pierce for starts. Whether they do or not…I am not sure, as I rarely see these folks. Just hopin’ for a revival in interest. Yeah, I love ‘turnin’ folks into ‘frogs’. Many sign up for Basic SCUBA afterwards. Or at least I hope. Vintage SCUBA requires a few extra ‘tricks’ and considerations ( as we all know, again..not brain science or rocket surgery. 🤔🤿)
1700506502219.png

…all we can do is try….
Scott G. Bonser
….just spoke w/‘Green Frog’ …tryin’ for a trip south after Christmas….

….as for the darned ‘thieves’ I always wonder about that. My exhibit at the White Star Quarry this year drew a lot of gawkers. But alas a 5+ OW class day at the ramp plus Rescue courses. Rob went under around 7:00am. Swam the left wall only to do a 180 into a cloud of lime silt. …stayed that way almost all day. Allan & I never got in and the few photos we got I posted on SB but Rob & Barb put some on F B. Since first time for me I kept an ‘Eagle Eye’ on my exhibit but no problems.

My experience at Green Lake in Dedham, ME was a bit of a worry. Thank God I had a private boat ramp and swim area to dive in. I didn’t go to dive, I just brought my gear. Really nice but that thermocline was rough. Gave me a nice headache. 🤣😧🥶.

The "problem" with going vintage is that 99.44% of the shops won't support the gear (service), even "modern stuff" like the Kraken or Phoenix/Cyclone and HPR, and will typically have staff that perpetuates "urban legends", thus making it all up to you to figure it out. Sourcing parts, tools and knowledge is a pretty heavy lift.

Look at the demographics of who was at the event. I think there were only two "young gentlemen" with their fathers...

Think about the reaction to the infrequent young diver there at the classes going on who looked through what we had there, and how they interacted with us, despite our friendly ways....

The "problem" with going vintage is that 99.44% of the shops won't support the gear (service), even "modern stuff" like the Kraken or Phoenix/Cyclone and HPR, and will typically have staff that perpetuates "urban legends", thus making it all up to you to figure it out. Sourcing parts, tools and knowledge is a pretty heavy lift.

Look at the demographics of who was at the event. I think there were only two "young gentlemen" with their fathers...

Think about the reaction to the infrequent young diver there at the classes going on who looked through what we had there, and how they interacted with us, despite our friendly ways....
Yeah, that’s most true, Bob. If folks are really interested and want to persue this ‘activity’, patience and perseverance is a must. I have a great list of ‘resources’ that restore, service and even sell this stuff. Just let me know if you ( or any interested party ) need a reference. It is a far cry from modern SCUBA where you don’t appear to be diving by the ‘Seat-of-your-pants’ so to speak…no computers. Simplistic stuff but can be discreetly enhanced, depending on the level & desire of the users ease, comfort and convenience. It really takes a bit of planning and follow through…like when I first took SCUBA diving course in ‘77. I also have some resources that can purchase parts that I need, despite some of the challenges. Just saying.

giantfroginthepond

“ …if there is a will…there’s a way…. adaptation. …If YOU have the will…there‘s a way…” …only been into this activity ‘hard core’ for about 2 years and I have learned a lot….but there’s a lot more for me to learn.

BTW…what ever happened to the ‘Vintage Regulator’ repair and Servicing class and certification program…? or is it really practical… ? I am interested!!

Respectfully,
Scott G. Bonser, PADI DM since ‘84. Harrellsville, NC

Back
Top Bottom