Question Best Source To Purchase Rebuilt RAM Reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, that’s most true, Bob. If folks are really interested and want to persue this ‘activity’, patience and perseverance is a must. I have a great list of ‘resources’ that restore, service and even sell this stuff. Just let me know if you ( or any interested party ) need a reference. It is a far cry from modern SCUBA where you don’t appear to be diving by the ‘Seat-of-your-pants’ so to speak…no computers. Simplistic stuff but can be discreetly enhanced, depending on the level & desire of the users ease, comfort and convenience. It really takes a bit of planning and follow through…like when I first took SCUBA diving course in ‘77. I also have some resources that can purchase parts that I need, despite some of the challenges. Just saying.

giantfroginthepond

“ …if there is a will…there’s a way…. adaptation. …If YOU have the will…there‘s a way…” …only been into this activity ‘hard core’ for about 2 years and I have learned a lot….but there’s a lot more for me to learn.

BTW…what ever happened to the ‘Vintage Regulator’ repair and Servicing class and certification program…? or is it really practical… ? I am interested!!

Respectfully,
Scott G. Bonser, PADI DM since ‘84. Harrellsville, NC
…there were quite a few there. I really only met Pete & Andrew. Many wandered through. Gawked a lot. Then who really knows. No one bought my spearfishing target ‘fittings’ ( where do you spearfish in the Midwest as in freshwater it is illegal to do that. ) hence ‘target shooting’😀.

If you look at how the mentality and certification has changed over the years, you will see the "problem.". Back in time, the books (Fred Roberts?) actually provided schematics and procedures to maintain equipment. Now, those types of things (there are a few exceptions) are "locked up", instruction says "take it to your shop", even for something as simple as changing a hose or an o-ring on the hose. I know you have seen that. It takes a pretty intentional effort to step out of that mold. A significant number of folks also approach SCUBA as a "check the box" activity, not a "lifetime endeavor." Especially the cold water region inhabitants. Most new divers are diving with a warm water travel/trip and not doing any diving at home.

Heck, the one local shop here no longer does their advanced certification with dives here in the cold home waters. You do all the academics here, and pool skills, then go on their warm water trip to do the dives.

If you look at how the mentality and certification has changed over the years, you will see the "problem.". Back in time, the books (Fred Roberts?) actually provided schematics and procedures to maintain equipment. Now, those types of things (there are a few exceptions) are "locked up", instruction says "take it to your shop", even for something as simple as changing a hose or an o-ring on the hose. I know you have seen that. It takes a pretty intentional effort to step out of that mold. A significant number of folks also approach SCUBA as a "check the box" activity, not a "lifetime endeavor." Especially the cold water region inhabitants. Most new divers are diving with a warm water travel/trip and not doing any diving at home.
Yes, Allan K. Recommended the ‘Basic SCUBA’ 2nd edition. I have seen them in all of the old dive shops back in the day. I needed info to work on an all-original Waterlung Dual-Air by Sportsways as it wasn’t breathing like the one I bought from Rob. It was just what I needed plus more. I even bought one for Stephanie K. at Tarpoon Skin Diving Center as she had a time finding a reasonably priced one.

Yes it’s somewhat disturbing how the emphasis is on ‘Turning out Basic Students’ and turning a ‘Buck’ instead of making SCUBA a really enjoyable life-long sport. My regret…losing a lot of bottom time for over 30 years as a responsible spouse under less than optimum ( actually sucked ) financial situation. I ALWAYS was looking forward to my next dive…local dive… off of my 18’ dead rise skiff in the Chesapeake Bay w/my dive buddies. Any dive. That was placed on a back burner….until recently w/my new career.

Now new students don’t do ‘buddy checks’ anymore?? ( from what I have been told) What happened to proactive safety??what do you do when you dive with unfamiliar partners?? I am so conscientious I want to make sure my dive partners KNOW my condition, yeah, blind left eye. AFIB, Myasthenia Gravis….hasn’t stopped me yet, but my buddy SHOULD know. BTW do you know how to find my ‘octo’ if you need it? Do you care. It’s not Easy B B-ing w/ a DHR. How do you let me know you are OOA?? All of the ‘must know’ things I learned from my many SCUBA classes.

….why I ‘evaluate‘ any new buddies. And yes, I have been out-of-air. Training kicked in.

…another thing. Pool use for checking out gear. If the shop didn’t sell it, they don’t want you in their pool…despite 2 instructors wanting me to do a demo and ‘teach’ AOW students who show an interest HOW to use DHRs. ( …Boss said ‘NO’ )

Not the same SCUBA we originally learned. Before gauges, octopi, and power inflators for ‘Horse Collars’. Sorry, but it is, what it IS.

I am sure you can relate, Bob, all of us see it. Why I have gone out on a limb…with a safety harness and net, learning to restore, service and maintain my old gear…some older than me 🤔( dirt ???, well maybe..) enough of my ‘rantings’. I am ready to get ‘soaked’ again, chase a few fish, and have Fun.

Sincerely vigilant &
respectfully yours,

Scott G. Bonser, ‘the’ giantfroginthepool

BTW…amazing how some gear’s ‘guts’ are the exact same as back in the seventies & can be used to fix my ‘old’ dilapidated dive gear. Gimme a DA Aquamaster any day.

I think the cold water divers can be more dedicated than warm water vacation divers. Cold water takes more gear, a bigger investment in time and money. Training is generally harder and takes longer. To do OW training dives takes more will power and “rising” to the occasion with donning the heavy wetsuit and carrying the added ballast and dealing with cold water. When people are done they feel like they really earned something worthwhile. They feel they have a personal commitment to themselves to keep diving locally. Some get trained here then never dive here again, but a lot still do continue to dive here.
A lot of people can’t afford to be vacation only divers. To always have to fly somewhere then spend money on hotels, meals, rental cars, etc. it all adds up.
Add vintage gear and it just makes it that much more interesting.
At least locally there could be a vintage “scene”.

I think time romanticizes our earlier efforts.

I think the cold water divers can be more dedicated than warm water vacation divers. Cold water takes more gear, a bigger investment in time and money. Training is generally harder and takes longer. To do OW training dives takes more will power and “rising” to the occasion with donning the heavy wetsuit and carrying the added ballast and dealing with cold water. When people are done they feel like they really earned something worthwhile. They feel they have a personal commitment to themselves to keep diving locally. Some get trained here then never dive here again, but a lot still do continue to dive here.
A lot of people can’t afford to be vacation only divers. To always have to fly somewhere then spend money on hotels, meals, rental cars, etc. it all adds up.
Add vintage gear and it just makes it that much more interesting.
At least locally there could be a vintage “scene”.
Great ‘Call’, Eric. I have known a few ‘California’ divers in my past. Cold water never stopped them w/the right gear and protection. ‘Fred Wright’ from San Diego, Loved any body of nice open water…carried gear when traveling. Couldn’t hear 💩 as his eardrums had thickened from cold water over and over, but Loved it all the same. My cold water dives kept me diving year-round. Most were ‘working ? ‘ dives as a volunteer archaeologist In the York River, Yorktown, VA.

…wish we had more ‘dedicated’ divers looking into the ‘Vintage’ scene.

Thank You So Much, Eric.
Scott G. Bonser

…Oh how it does…or perhaps ( I think I got this one…) “Glory Days” …John Fogerty.
….as it happens, we think ‘nothing of it’…feeling Lucky ☘️ or Blessed to find the ‘right gig’ at the right time. Now we think back and just ‘Who else’ has experienced what I have. Again patience and perseverance…it pays when ‘Making a Life’

’the’ giantfroginthepool

Great ‘Call’, Eric. I have known a few ‘California’ divers in my past. Cold water never stopped them w/the right gear and protection. ‘Fred Wright’ from San Diego, Loved any body of nice open water…carried gear when traveling. Couldn’t hear 💩 as his eardrums had thickened from cold water over and over, but Loved it all the same. My cold water dives kept me diving year-round. Most were ‘working ? ‘ dives as a volunteer archaeologist In the York River, Yorktown, VA.

…wish we had more ‘dedicated’ divers looking into the ‘Vintage’ scene.

Thank You So Much, Eric.
Scott G. Bonser

…Oh how it does…or perhaps ( I think I got this one…) “Glory Days” …John Fogerty.
….as it happens, we think ‘nothing of it’…feeling Lucky ☘️ or Blessed to find the ‘right gig’ at the right time. Now we think back and just ‘Who else’ has experienced what I have. Again patience and perseverance…it pays when ‘Making a Life’

’the’ giantfroginthepool
…actually ‘my bad’ It was Bruce Springsteen….still a great song.😁🎶🎸🥁🎼

Back
Top Bottom