Question Best Source To Purchase Rebuilt RAM Reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The "problem" with going vintage is that 99.44% of the shops won't support the gear (service), even "modern stuff" like the Kraken or Phoenix/Cyclone and HPR, and will typically have staff that perpetuates "urban legends", thus making it all up to you to figure it out. Sourcing parts, tools and knowledge is a pretty heavy lift.

Look at the demographics of who was at the event. I think there were only two "young gentlemen" with their fathers...

Think about the reaction to the infrequent young diver there at the classes going on who looked through what we had there, and how they interacted with us, despite our friendly ways....
Yes rhwestfall, it is a dedicated group. I really don’t advocate this kind of activity to the ‘masses‘ of divers out there’s. I am one of the ‘unique’ few where it piques my interest. I have dived DHRs for photo applications since ‘83. I was apprehensive at first. It took a trial in a training pool and practice to become proficient diving with these regs. I get gawkers of all ages, but very few, to my knowledge persue it. Pete and Andrew were one of the few that make it a ‘Father-son’ activity. As my observations go. Most new divers ‘ go for the foreign-made, unpronounceable brands of gear. It’s cheap, it works. Is the recent SCUBA training taking this into consideration? Most of these are 1 or 2 time ‘resort divers’ and the gear stays in the dark recesses of a closet or utility room until discovered later. Will it work then? Who knows, but it was cheap and had little challenges or redeeming value.

The "problem" with going vintage is that 99.44% of the shops won't support the gear (service), even "modern stuff" like the Kraken or Phoenix/Cyclone and HPR, and will typically have staff that perpetuates "urban legends", thus making it all up to you to figure it out. Sourcing parts, tools and knowledge is a pretty heavy lift.

Look at the demographics of who was at the event. I think there were only two "young gentlemen" with their fathers...

Think about the reaction to the infrequent young diver there at the classes going on who looked through what we had there, and how they interacted with us, despite our friendly ways....
Bob, …just thinking of all of the ‘newbies’ that descended upon the WSQ on Saturday ( …sadly the only day that I was able to attend due to work constraints..) I often wonder just what percentage of these folks will continue with additional training and ‘stick with’ SCUBA in a ‘general’ sense. …large impressive classes and quite a few of them… or again just ‘ resort divers’ looking for an activity on their next cruise destination.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom