new to DH regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Standin

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am in the process of having a RAM rebuilt. :D

But I have a question, on a "modern" reg service is yearly or every other year.

What is the service intervel for a double hose reg (RAM). :idk:

Thanks for the great support of Vintage diving!

Standin

Last edited:
It's whenever you want it to be. Since we've already decided our lives are not worth a 'new' reg, why bother with the life-saving annual service at the LDS?

Forgive me But , your are kidding right???

Once per decade or 5,000 dives whichever comes first.

As of the last few years I take them apart and modify them with new parts so often that none have gone long enough to need a rebuild. The new silicone diaphragm, valves, hoses and duckbill are possibly forever parts. I made my own silicone HP diaphragm and LP seats from hard silicone.

Rebuild or service, maybe never, if I get everything gold plated.

N

You must understand that periodic reg servicing IAW mfgr recommendations is heavily influenced by the manufacturers' desire to support their customer's business (your LDS). If you do not take good care of your regs, then annual servicing may not be frequent enough. If you take good care of your regs then you can easily go 3 years or more, depending on usage, between periodic servicing. You could let inspection and performance dictate the necessity for service rather than some dubious mfgr recommendation.

Mattboy is a DM so he is probably just providing the "professional" support for his LDS. Some "professionals" tend to be a bit biased.:>)

However---------

Rebuilding/servicing a regulator is not the same as cleaning a regulator. I remove the top can and rinse the inside of the regulator and inspect, clean the inside of the hoses and inspect them and then inspect all visible parts for any other obvious damage or defects after every trip.

N

Is there anyone near the Pensacola (or 150 miles or so) that could tutor me in the care or use of my beloved Double Hose reg?

And I wonder what gold plating would cost???:eyebrow:

I think his tongue is firmly planted into his cheek on that.

I am positive of it. :)

Like Nem, mine gets taken apart (cans seperated) and flushed after every dive or set of dives if it's over several days. Otherwise it gets serviced when it needs it and the reg will tell you it's getting time long before it must be done......and frankly so will your modern regs, reguardless of what some will tell you.

Some people prefer to overhaul their regulators when they get to the dive site, I prefer to do preventative maintenance along the way, that way when I get to the dive site I can DIVE, DIVE, DIVE and instead of fix, fix, fix. But, YRMV.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom