Royal Master conversion to Royal Aqua Master

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

freehuey

Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

This is my first post, but I have used this website as a resource for years. I recently bought a Royal Master double hose regulator and was reading through Brian's old website about it. From what I read, the only difference between this reg and the later Royal Aqua Master is that the RAM balance chamber has dropped the spring and washer that retained the o-ring in favor of a back-up o-ring and a retaining lip in the balance chamber itself.
This got me thinking that it might be possible to convert the Royal Master to a RAM by simply replacing the balance chamber assembly with one from the RAM.

Does anyone know if the dimensions of the balance chambers are the same on these regulators and if such a swap would be possible?

Thank you all for your wealth of knowledge and keeping this hobby alive.

Matt

Hello everyone,

This is my first post, but I have used this website as a resource for years. I recently bought a Royal Master double hose regulator and was reading through Brian's old website about it. From what I read, the only difference between this reg and the later Royal Aqua Master is that the RAM balance chamber has dropped the spring and washer that retained the o-ring in favor of a back-up o-ring and a retaining lip in the balance chamber itself.
This got me thinking that it might be possible to convert the Royal Master to a RAM by simply replacing the balance chamber assembly with one from the RAM.

Does anyone know if the dimensions of the balance chambers are the same on these regulators and if such a swap would be possible?

Thank you all for your wealth of knowledge and keeping this hobby alive.

Matt

That is correct. That is the only difference.

The newer balanced chamber will fit with out any issues. It is a bit longer to accept the back-up ring, but it is totally interchangeable.

You can get the parts (the balanced chamber) used in a Conshelf or a Aqua Lung Titan. They are all the same first stage.

First thing is to see if it has the original RM parts are still in it, odds are that it may have already been converted. If not, I suggest you not convert it, the RM is pretty rare and should be kept in it's original condition. You can replace the HP seat and balance chamber with ones from a RAM or Conshelf . There is one possible issue, I know some of the early HP seats had a different depth hole in them and used a different length pin. No idea if the RM used the odd ball HP seat but you have to make sure before swapping them out as you may need a different length pin as well.

If you do change it, PLEASE do not trash the parts, I am sure someone wants them

Wow, thank you all for the quick reply. I have a balance chamber from an early RAM and I also bought a RAM HP seat in case there were issues with that pin length. (Which, I think I bought from the third person tagged here, Ivan.)

The regulator is still on its way to me, so I haven't cracked it open to see what is on the inside yet, but I will definitely keep the original parts of I do decide to alter anything. If I do convert it, it would only be until someone comes out with something similar to the Phoenix, so I can convert one of my DAAMs.

If I remember correctly, both of you ( @herman and @Luis H ) helped create the Phoenix with Brian. Do you know of anyone currently selling or working on something similar?

If all you are trying to do is convert a DAAM to a balanced first stage, just to find a RAM nozzle and replace the nozzle in a DAAM. The pin will also have to be replaced but rounding up those parts is not hard using Conshelf or Titan parts. I know I have some DA nozzles but there might be a RAM one in there too, I'll look if you are interested.

If all you are trying to do is convert a DAAM to a balanced first stage, just to find a RAM nozzle and replace the nozzle in a DAAM. The pin will also have to be replaced but rounding up those parts is not hard using Conshelf or Titan parts. I know I have some DA nozzles but there might be a RAM one in there too, I'll look if you are interested.
Oh wow, I didn't realize it was that simple to convert it. I can just use the hookah port and a splitter for the ports, then. I checked The Scuba Museum and Silent Explorers and neither have a RAM nozzle in stock, so I would be very interested if you can find one. I have a couple conshelf XIVs sitting around that I've been meaning to restore, so I'm sure I could borrow a pin from one of those if I have any trouble tracking one down.

Back
Top Bottom