My "New" Pillar J-valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rx7diver

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
I posted this pic of my "new" U.S. Divers J-valve (a *pillar* or *post* valve per @Bob DBF; Thanks, Bob!) in another thread earlier today. I purchased this valve from The Scuba Museum earlier this week.

Looks like it's functioning okay; it holds pressure, and the reserve mechanism seems to function fine.

The plan is to use this valve with my U.S. Divers DAAM reg (that has been upgraded with a 1st gen VDH Phoenix nozzle) and either my old-school PST 72 or my OMS/Faber LP66, my VDH Vintage DH plate, and my 23# VDH Argonaut Wing. I'm not sure if I will service the valve first, though.

Any trickiness expected when servicing this particular type of J-valve? I actually serviced my very first J-valve a couple of years ago (Need help disassembling J-valve) with no issues except my own timidness.

Thanks in advance.

rx7diver

USDivers_Pillar_J_Valve_20240427.jpeg

A valve is a valve is a valve. I have several of these pillar valves (J and K) on working tanks and they are very easy to service. The only issue I ever had was a leak where air would come out if you pushed down on the J-Rod end cap. After disassembly and reassembly the issue was fixed. Just last summer I had a dive boat here in California refuse to fill my tank because, in the divemaster's words, "Insurance won't let us fill tanks with those old valves because they are known to explode all the time." Really? Ignorant people are not on my most-favored list. 😎

Mine is a tad crusty but works fine. Takes standard burst discs.

LjLVOb.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom