Need help disassembling J-valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rx7diver

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
Members,

I am attempting to disassemble my just- purchased U.S. Divers J-valve. Quick question: How do I remove the internal brass "switch" reserve part? You know, that part that "clicks" on/off? (See 2nd pic.)

Thanks in advance.

rx7diver

J_Valve_20211127a.jpeg
J_Valve_20211127b.jpeg

As far as I recall, just carefully grab it with a pair of needle-nose pliers and pull it out.
If it is a bit stuck, you may want to soak it first.

As far as I recall, just carefully grab it with a pair of needle-nose pliers and pull it out.
If it is a bit stuck, you may want to soak it first.

Thanks, @Luis H . I was thinking to do this, but I was afraid I'd screw something up--since the piece seems to be under spring tension.

rx7diver

You can download a service manual from VintageDoubleHose.com

The diagram is always helpful, but there is a full service manual that is available.

Good luck.

UPDATE: Well, I think I put everything back together correctly. (See attached pic.) I elected to NOT disassemble the reserve mechanism part. It occurred to me that its spring is set to allow the mechanism to engage/disengage at a certain prescribed cylinder psi, and I didn't want to screw this up before I had actually breathed off of a regulator attached to the J-valve.

Turns out that the valve closes off at approx 200 psig. Maybe the old spring has weakened?

I was thinking that the valve should close off at more like 350 psig. My quick back-of-the-envelope calculations suggest that ~115 psi would be required for a 60 fpm direct ascent from 130 fsw to the surface for a diver using an old-school steel 72 and having a SAC rate of 0.5 cfpm. So, closing off at 350 psig would allow for this ascent while keeping enough remaining air in the cylinder.

Comments?

ETA: It just occurred to me that maybe my Scubapro SPG is not reading so accurately so close to zero...

rx7diver

J-Valve_Testing_20211201.jpeg

UPDATE: Well, I think I put everything back together correctly. (See attached pic.) I elected to NOT disassemble the reserve mechanism part. It occurred to me that its spring is set to allow the mechanism to engage/disengage at a certain prescribed cylinder psi, and I didn't want to screw this up before I had actually breathed off of a regulator attached to the J-valve.

Turns out that the valve closes off at approx 200 psig. Maybe the old spring has weakened?

I was thinking that the valve should close off at more like 350 psig. My quick back-of-the-envelope calculations suggest that ~115 psi would be required for a 60 fpm direct ascent from 130 fsw to the surface for a diver using an old-school steel 72 and having a SAC rate of 0.5 cfpm. So, closing off at 350 psig would allow for this ascent while keeping enough remaining air in the cylinder.

Comments?

ETA: It just occurred to me that maybe my Scubapro SPG is not reading so accurately so close to zero...

rx7diver

View attachment 693505
As I remember, those valves were set to open at about 500 psi.

Single cylinder reserve valves like this one was always advertised (in the US Divers catalog) as 300 psi.

In my experience, they were never too precise, but 200 psi is a bit low, but I am not surprised.

As far as I remember, the reserve assembly in this valve came out as a unit. It was not designed to be disassembled into its parts, the spring was captured between the end with the seat and the cam.

Single cylinder reserve valves like this one was always advertised (in the US Divers catalog) as 300 psi.

In my experience, they were never too precise, but 200 psi is a bit low, but I am not surprised.

As far as I remember, the reserve assembly in this valve came out as a unit. It was not designed to be disassembled into its parts, the spring was captured between the end with the seat and the cam.
Yes, I just did some more googling. Downloaded a manual from the Agua Lung web site ("Military & Professional Operations; Authorized Technician; Technical Maintenance Manual; J, K, Z and Twin Manifold Valves," Rev. 03/09). On Page 10 is the statement, "Acceptable reserve actuation pressure ranges: (single cylinder) minimum of 450 psig, (double cylinder) 225 psig."

rx7diver

Can you post a link to that manual?

Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom