New Seaskin drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP, what did you pay on import? Just GST or was there a duty assessed? If so, what classification did they use?

I have had my Seaskin trilam for about 3 years now. The only complaints were self inflected. I ordered a heavy duty neck seal, very good if you are into auto asphyxiation. If not, then pass on it. I had the right pocket put on my thigh, left on the front, did not check a box on the order form. Best suit for the dollars I have had, with duty, I think I have about $1100 in it.

What do you think of this list? Will press the checkout button tomorrow
upload_2018-8-4_23-12-1.png

What do you think of this list? Will press the checkout button tomorrow
View attachment 472725

You have two p-valves. Now, I'm certainly not familiar with your personal anatomy, but I'd hazard a guess and say that one p-valve will suffice.

The cuff dump is unnecessary, just another hole in the suit that can leak. If you have mobility issues such that you can't raise your shoulder or rotate a little to your right to vent, I would imagine that you would also be unable to get your wrist high enough either.

I would add kevlar kneepads and a set of pockets. Kneepads not so much for underwater, but kneeling down to deal whatever overboots you will be wearing, since you got the neoprene socks and nothing built-in. Pockets because, well, you put your stuff in pockets, and pockets are better than hanging a bunch of crap off your d-rings.

The computer straps are ok if they line up with where you wear your computer, but I don't find them necessary at all, same for the "inflation valve comfort patch."

I don't remember if they have a large brace option now, but wider suspenders are always better. Get those.

Lol, I just realised it right after I posted the snapshot. I would go with the Lightmonkey PV. Was trying to see if the cuff dump would be helpfull, but according to you, i think it wont be.
I didn't go for pocket as i do sidemount, most of my stuff in the butt pocket, usually really hard to open my 2 pockets when i got tanks hanging on top of them.
I'm consider remove the strap and the comfort patch as well, didnt know whether it necessary or not. I have been fine without those, but wanted to try new things
Will put large brace option in as well, was thinking of that but not sure.

what do you think of an all red suit? would a black material more durable than red ?
they got Kubi fitted system, but im not sure the Lined up glove would fit into it? any advise?

thank you for your advise. cant wait to order the suit.

I mean, obviously if it's not all black you'll die, but the choice is yours. I don't think there's a durability difference.

Gotcha re: pockets, although I still use them for less likely to need items even when diving sidemount as I find cramming the expandable butt pouches chock full to be a little ungainly and annoying. That being said, they're usually full of reels and backup lights and wetnotes and all sorts of other cave diving accoutrement so you may not have a similar problem.

The extra items aren't a big deal, and they're not expensive, so if you want to give them a shot, it won't cost you much if you don't like them.

I know nothing about the kubi rings. I don't like hard rings on drysuits but that's a completely personal opinion. I wouldn't want lined gloves. I'd want unlined and have the ability to decide what liners I'd want to use, it even none at all if I wanted the dexterity. There's no right answer so it's worth experimenting.

What @JohnnyC said.

The wide braces for sure. I got the oval cuff rings and they are pretty nice. Pockets for me were indispensable.

Seaskin offers their pockets with the option to have them placed around towards the front of the thighs, just for sidemounters.

I would rather have pockets and not need them....

I ordered my Seaskin about a month ago. After using shorts with pockets with velcro flaps and then getting a drysuit with pockets with velcro flaps, I have concluded that velcro flaps suck. I ordered my new suit with their zippered pocket option.

velcro flaps suck
With my admittedly rather limited exposure I mostly would agree (DGX shorts, Hollis Neotek). The ones on my so far rarely used drysuit (deep 6) are the best so far, but just did not use them enough yet to say more.

So, in what ways do you find zippered pockets better after using them - or are you still awaitimg the suit?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom