Seaskin Nova Drysuit: Extra Allowance?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd like to piggyback on this question as it is roughly the same question. I am getting ready to order a sealskin for my wife, she normally wears 400g wool underwear (top and bottom) and Fourth Element Arctic top and bottom. That is not thick enough to warrant the extra allowance option, correct? Sorry if this is a silly question but I always struggle with the undergarment thicknesses and now I am reading 400gsm which I have no clue how thick that is.
Follow the instructions on the site, they cover this.

I'd like to piggyback on this question as it is roughly the same question. I am getting ready to order a sealskin for my wife, she normally wears 400g wool underwear (top and bottom) and Fourth Element Arctic top and bottom. That is not thick enough to warrant the extra allowance option, correct? Sorry if this is a silly question but I always struggle with the undergarment thicknesses and now I am reading 400gsm which I have no clue how thick that is.
I think gsm is grams per square meter?, but that doesn't really tell a lot because of different materials.

My experience is that I had a tailor measure me once and went with that. I got the extra room. When I first got my suit I thought it felt tight and wish I had gotten more room but it broke in after a while. I have lost ~ 10 or so lbs since I ordered and am still very happy that I got the extra room.

YMMV

99.9% of my diving is cold water. 55F is what I consider warm. If you dive cold, I would probably get the extra room. It sounds like you do.

I think gsm is grams per square meter?, but that doesn't really tell a lot because of different materials.

My experience is that I had a tailor measure me once and went with that. I got the extra room. When I first got my suit I thought it felt tight and wish I had gotten more room but it broke in after a while. I have lost ~ 10 or so lbs since I ordered and am still very happy that I got the extra room.

YMMV

99.9% of my diving is cold water. 55F is what I consider warm. If you dive cold, I would probably get the extra room. It sounds like you do.
Thanks, thats helpful. Our diving is 50 to mid 60s mostly and she runs cold so I foresee her maybe getting thicker undergarments. This will be her first drysuit and I just started her with what I wear as undergarments.

I use my nova in warm water, even in summer so I can't help here but I can really recommend spending a bit more to get two pockets and the silicon neck and wrist cuffs.

I really like my suit although the undersuit is really buoyant and I needed to add about 4kg for it which hurt.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom