"New Post" or "unread" function in User CP

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thalassamania

Diving Polymath
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
On a large pile of smokin' A'a, the most isolated
# of dives
5000 - ∞
For some reason new posts that I make cause the thread to show up in read when using the User CP function. Additionaly it is rather strange that one moment I have a long list of red entries (new posts) and then, without ever reading them, the next time I go back to the User CP function they're blue.

Red indicates a new unread post is in the thread. If you post it, until you view it, it's unread or red. :D SB also has a timeout on logins. I think it's set at 15 minutes right now. So if you are busy typing a post and it takes you longer than 15 minutes to hit the submit button, then all the posts will be blue because the server thinks you logged out. I do wish they would extend that time to 30 minutes.

Thanks

Most communities can afford a time out after 30 minutes, an hour or even more. This makes it look like they have a LOT of people in their forum. The more popular we become the more critical our 15 minute time out becomes. We might need to set it to 10 minutes at some point, but we will wait as long as possible.

What should I do, compose off line? Is that the responsible way to behave?

No... it will do it on it's own. If you get timed out and need to see a post that is no longer being displayed that you were subscribed to, just click on "Display all Subscribed threads" near the bottom of the subscribed threads display.

I do what Pete suggests for subscribed threads. For new threads I just view the past day's posts. I've gotten into the habit of noting the time of my last visit so I know what posts to start looking at.

Pete, thanks for the explanation. But please don't shorten it to 10 minutes!!!!

Is this an absolute time or an inactivity time?

Both... the posts will age on their own. You will only be logged out if you are inactive. They are functions of the same setting. Most people don't even realize they have been logged off, it's that transparent.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom