What would you want in a $2500 regulator?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For 2500 I would want whatever regulator/rebreather kwigon used in starwars to swim underwater in I think phantom menace

1711088518945.gif

Definitely my money back.

I wouldn't want anything more than a limited edition color that shows I spent $2500 on a regulator

I wouldn't want anything more than a limited edition color that shows I spent $2500 on a regulator
How about a waterproof price sticker like the kids leave on their baseball caps?

Or go truly OG...

416px-Minnie_Pearl_1965.JPG

Inspired by the post from @wetb4igetinthewater that read "What should interest people is genuine innovation. Discussions should be about design features that result in measurable improvements", what features would you want to see in a [hypothetical] $2500 regulator?

Here are some of my ideas, with little-to-no regard to practicality:
  • self-sealing: when not pressurized, both stages of the regulator would be self sealing, so it could be rinsed (or even dropped off a boat!) with no water incursion
  • built-in analyzer: the 1st stage would have a built-in O2 and CO analyzer (upgrade for trimix?), with an LED readout for O2 %, MOD and an audible alarm for CO
  • built-in diagnostics: the 1st stage would have diagnostics recording/displaying the efficiency of gas delivery through the primary LP port, as a measure of whether the regulator needs service
  • built-in dive logging (date, time, depth, gas analysis, gas pressure over the duration of the dive, water temp, gas allocation -- LP port 1, LP port 2, etc -- to more accurately record SAC vs gas used for the BCD or inflating an SMB, etc)
  • all electronic functions would be powered via a rechargeable battery in the 1st stage that is powered via a gas turbine (windmill) -- when pressurized and delivering gas, the regulator recharges it's own battery
  • the 2nd stage would have a long exhaust -- think a corrugated tube that mechanically attaches to the outside of the LP hose, with exhaust bubbles exiting behind the diver's head, near the 1st stage
  • quick-disconnect hose fittings at the 1st stage, so that the regulator set can easily be disassembled and packed compactly for travel
  • 10-year/500 dive normal service intervals
for 2500$ i would like to breath easy underwater.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom