New Oxycheq Mach V!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

*Floater*:
I sort of like this type (urethane) inner bladders because they look like you could basically repair them with a simple bike tire patch. My LCD30 also has a similar looking inner bladder and it made my DIR-F instructor gringe as he had just finished explaining that the Halcyon explorers use 400 denier nylon bladders so that they would be sufficiently puncture resistant for WKPP needs (these bladders look somewhat similar to the common outer bladders for those who haven't seen them). Admittedly the Halcyon inner bladders do look more rugged, but they also look harder to repair (though my DIR-F instructor contested this suggestion) and neither seems particularly likely to pop underwater anyway. Shifting gas inside the wing also made a distinct noise with my ex-explorer 40, which I don't recall hearing with the Torus (urethane inner bladder), though I could be mistaken as I was wearing a thicker hood when I used the latter.

Anyway I brought it up because I was hoping to hear Patrick's and Tobin's side on the urethane vs. 400 denier inner bladder issue, as well as other people's thoughts and experiences. Advantages? Disadvantages? Opinions?

I do not know of anyone using urethane bladders as thick as the Sig Series. It is mroe than twice as thick as normal urethane bladders.

Denier is the same material used for lift bags. It typicaly has a light coating of urethane under the material. Denier is good for abrasion while urethane has better puncture resistance. Normal urethane bladders have thicker urethane than lift bags. I am not sure of the thickness that Halcyon uses. You would have to ask them.

I did not use Denier because I wanted a higher level of puncture resistance on the bladder. The outer shell is where most abrasion takes place. In the case of the Sig Series bladder, the material is so thick it has both high puncture resistance and high abrasion resistance.

Denier is not that difficult to patch. Most people just put shoe gue over the hole. In the case of urethane, the same material can be used to patch the shell. I believe larger holes are easier to patch if you have urethane. However, you can put a urethane patch on the inside of a Denier bladder if you can reach in through an access hole to get to the hole --- not always the easiest thing to do.

Urethane also coats the inner side of the shell. Some people use a light coating and others use a heavy coating. All of our shells have a heavy coating and that is why the shell feels so thick.

Best regards,

Patrick
---
OxyCheq
http://oxycheq.com

Stephen Ash:
Here are some more pics. It will be a while before I can get shots in the water. There is basically no wrapping. Take a look at the side shot above. With the bladder flat it doesn't appear to exceed the radius of the tank...or... the edge of the wing falls in plane with the valve.

Here's a pic I took of Monica in Buford Spring a couple of weeks ago with her new MACH V.

Dave

loquat149:
Here's a pic I took of Monica in Buford Spring a couple of weeks ago with her new MACH V.

Dave

Dave,

Thanks for posting that. It does not even look like you have a wing on the cylinder. What size is the cylinder?

Best regards,

Patrick
---
OxyCheq

Patrick:
Dave,

Thanks for posting that. It does not even look like you have a wing on the cylinder. What size is the cylinder?

Best regards,

Patrick
---
OxyCheq

Yes, it's an AL80...unfortunately, we hit thirds too soon in Buford with these things and'll have to return with some single 95s or 104s. The trek thru the swamp is too far to even think about hauling doubles here...

Dave

You should have put a reg on that can light! :D

loquat149:
Yes, it's an AL80...unfortunately, we hit thirds too soon in Buford with these things and'll have to return with some single 95s or 104s. The trek thru the swamp is too far to even think about hauling doubles here...

Dave

You need a small CCR for the dive.

Best regards,

Patrick
---
OxyCheq

*Floater*:
I sort of like this type (urethane) inner bladders because they look like you could basically repair them with a simple bike tire patch. My LCD30 also has a similar looking inner bladder and it made my DIR-F instructor gringe as he had just finished explaining that the Halcyon explorers use 400 denier nylon bladders so that they would be sufficiently puncture resistant for WKPP needs (these bladders look somewhat similar to the common outer bladders for those who haven't seen them). Admittedly the Halcyon inner bladders do look more rugged, but they also look harder to repair (though my DIR-F instructor contested this suggestion) and neither seems particularly likely to pop underwater anyway. Shifting gas inside the wing also made a distinct noise with my ex-explorer 40, which I don't recall hearing with the Torus (urethane inner bladder), though I could be mistaken as I was wearing a thicker hood when I used the latter.

Anyway I brought it up because I was hoping to hear Patrick's and Tobin's side on the urethane vs. 400 denier inner bladder issue, as well as other people's thoughts and experiences. Advantages? Disadvantages? Opinions?

Floater,

Denier is a measure of the density of fibers, but in this context denier is roughly a measure of the size of the fibers used to weave a textile. A 70 denier "Taffeta" is a much lighter weight fabric than a 200 denier "Oxford", and a 400 denier packcloth will be heavier still, but no where near as heavy as a 1050 "Ballistic"

Single bladder wings, and lift bags, Safety Sausage etc. are typically made from a nylon fabric of some denier (200-400 typically) that has a thin layer of urethane laminated to it. The urethane layer is impermiable to gas, and allows RF welding. The Urethane is on the inside, permitting a urethane to urethane weld.

Is a 400 denier nylon laminated with a thin layer of urethane a better material for inner bladders in wings? I don't think so. In my experinece the main cause of damage to wing bladders is "pinch flats" not penetrations by sharp objects. Dropping the corner of a Backplate onto a wing on the side walk of boat deck is typically the cause. In my tests the coated nylons did not perform much different from the pure urethanes.

One of the downsides of coated materials is that they do not stretch, and when a "2D" bladder is asked to fill a "3D" wing you will have some "puckers" around the edges. Think of a inflated lift bag. These puckers can imped venting.

I won't claim that a "silent wing" is necessarily a design criteria, it has been noted that some wings using coated nylon inner bladders are "noisy" My guess is the puckers are the source of this noise.

In my experience coated materials are more difficult to patch, because the urethane in on the inside of the bladder, and it may be difficult or impossible to access the repair site though the fitting holes.

The pure urethane bladders are easier to patch if necessary, as the patch and or adhesive can be applied to the outside of the bladder.

I would agree with Patrick that a thicker Urethane Bladder is more puncture resistant than coated nylons.

Regards,

Tobin

Stephen Ash:
I also removed the little knob from the rear dump. Otherwise, that's how it looks.

got mine today and was impressed with the shape and material. also removed the little knob as well. i was wondering if i can color the yellow markings black with a pentel pen:)

Spoon:
got mine today and was impressed with the shape and material. also removed the little knob as well. i was wondering if i can color the yellow markings black with a pentel pen:)

No, you cannot do that. It is not authorized. :)

Patrick
---
OxyCheq

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom